Saving faces

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Saving faces

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 57295.html

I know one of the cyclists involved...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Re: Saving faces

Post by Tonyf33 »

good that the medical advances are helping individuals, lots of advances made through the military and fixing up soldiers. I found this interesting website re Queens hospital being at the forefront of plastic surgery BITD, lots of the work now archived is online http://www.gilliesarchives.org.uk/

The one thing that saddens me about the article is that as a byproduct it seems to once again support the cycling is dangerous meme, 'repairing our broken cyclists', and a picture with a helmet (that clearly had no impact on lessening the chaps injuries so why include it?).

It all adds up along with many many other articles including well meaning ones such as this, the conscious & subconscious bias in place when articles are written does have far reaching effects in the psyche and we end up with people like Dr.killer stating cycling is too dangerous..
Why couldn't the article be How the Royal London are fixing faces, just because the person described was cycling I'd bet cyclists aren't even close to being the majority 'group' of patients being treated, indeed the article goes on to say they treat many cyclists and carry on the description of cases, no mention of any other groups like say motorists who I'd reckon are top of the pile for such treatments.,
[XAP]Bob

Re: Saving faces

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The research is actually focussing on cyclists at the moment. Fairly rare to get 20mph+ full facial collisions any other way. Particularly with the mollycoddling that drivers get.

Rear seat passenger without a belt I suppose... (Or front seat without an airbag)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.