'Serious cycling keeps you young, say scientists'...

ChrisButch

'Serious cycling keeps you young, say scientists'...

Post by ChrisButch »

This is the report on the physiological benefits of long-distance cycling by the over-55s. The study was led by AudaxUK member Professor Norman Lazarus. (I volunteered to take part, but was rejected....!)
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/cycling-keeps-young-say-scientists/story-25810749-detail/story.html
NUKe

Re: 'Serious cycling keeps you young, say scientists'...

Post by NUKe »

Interesting but not very scientific if the article you have outlined is anything to go by as it excluded a lot of risks that cause aging didn't compare to non cyclists. and didn't look at those that cycle regular smaller distances. That said intersting and probably a lot more detail in the paper.
NUKe

Post by beardy »

Then there is the rather obvious flaw in the whole idea.
ie once you start to deteriorate you will no longer be able to complete 100k in 6.5 hours and will cease to qualify as a serious cyclist. It may not be that cycling keeps you physically young, so much as only the physically young can continue with that sort of cycling.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

NUKe wrote:Interesting but not very scientific if the article you have outlined is anything to go by as it excluded a lot of risks that cause aging didn't compare to non cyclists. and didn't look at those that cycle regular smaller distances. That said inteersting and probably a lot more detail in the paper.
Yes, but this was just a piece in a regional newspaper (I've since seen there's also a piece in today's Telegraph). I haven't yet tracked down the actual report, so don't know if the factors you mention were covered or not.
james01

Cycling is anti-ageing

Post by james01 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... tists.html

Interesting findings. I certainly fall within the age parameters, unfortunately my cycle rides are the type that usually terminate in a pub.

Edit: they defined "fit" as able to do 100k in 6.5 hrs - even I can do that, maybe I'm super-fit after all!
AlaninWales

Re: Cycling is anti-ageing

Post by AlaninWales »

I may as well point out ... viewtopic.php?f=49&t=93180
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Hmm. Sounds like research from the department of the bleedin' obvious: fit old people who don't drink, smoke, have high blood pressure or other health conditions are just as fit as younger people who don't etc.

But the essential message is true, and important:
Inevitably, our bodies will experience some decline with age, but staying physically active can buy you extra years of function compared to sedentary people.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sounds good dont it 100k in 6.5 hours. in my money thats 63 miles in 6.5 hours? ( unless 100k means 100,000 :lol: ). Why any one wants to cycle for 6.5 hours I dont know. There was the other bit of research wasnt there that hard exercise for just a few minutes was as good?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depends how far you want to go. If I cycle to the in laws it's about 85 miles, that takes a few hours...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

mercalia wrote:sounds good dont it 100k in 6.5 hours. in my money thats 63 miles in 6.5 hours? ( unless 100k means 100,000 :lol: ). Why any one wants to cycle for 6.5 hours I dont know. There was the other bit of research wasnt there that hard exercise for just a few minutes was as good?

Normally that would involve a few decent stops for drinks and food (even on occasions beer), I mean proper stops with chairs and tables indoors.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

beardy wrote:Then there is the rather obvious flaw in the whole idea.
ie once you start to deteriorate you will no longer be able to complete 100k in 6.5 hours and will cease to qualify as a serious cyclist. It may not be that cycling keeps you physically young, so much as only the physically young can continue with that sort of cycling.

I think that's what they call a "self-selecting population". I too thought it was a bit of a fly in the ointment.....
beardy

Post by beardy »

Though I do agree with their finding that these cyclists have fitness levels comparable with the population ten years younger. If you look at a group of Audaxers over 50 years old you will probably underestimate their age by that sort of margin.

That is however pretty anecdotal and non-scientific.

It is the causal bit that remains a point of faith. I do wonder if other self selecting groups could show a similar correlation, like Vegetarians or Buddhists.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I think this just reinforces what we all are generally aware of. It seems to make dedicated less fit motorists quite envious. I am always getting comments from less active friends and acquaintances.

I dont think it applies to runners though. By my observation from the age of 50 loads of them seem to end up with dodgy knees, hips and fractured leg bones. Long term running is not good for you.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
beardy

Post by beardy »

al_yrpal wrote:I think this just reinforces what we all are generally aware of. It seems to make dedicated less fit motorists quite envious. I am always getting comments from less active friends and acquaintances.

I dont think it applies to runners though. By my observation from the age of 50 loads of them seem to end up with dodgy knees, hips and fractured leg bones. Long term running is not good for you.

Al

A good number of Audaxers are those broken runners who have got on bikes because they could no longer run.
nez

Super fit over 55s

Post by nez »

According to http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycl ... 59058.html
A super fit over 55 can do 100k in 6.5 hrs. Who qualifies?[emoji15]