panniers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Lee1976uk

panniers

Post by Lee1976uk »

Hi

i got a Boardman Hybrid Comp Bike 2014 with my cycle to work scheme, what rack and panniers would you recommend to fit to it ?
mjr

Re: panniers

Post by mjr »

What fixings does the bike have and how much do you want to carry? Dawes, Vavert, Axiom and Avenir all seem to make good racks, to name four. I've been particularly impressed with Basil panniers and read good things about Ortlieb.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
HebdenBiker

Post by HebdenBiker »

Personally I use Tubus racks and Carradice bags, but that's for multi-day touring.

It depends what you want the rack and panniers for.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tortec make some of the better racks and as your bike is a disc braked one, you'll need a disc compatible rack...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRANSALP-REAR-D ... +rear+rack
If your bike is the one I looked at on Halford's site, it has all the relevant rack mounts.
I'll have a wild guess that as you're buying your bike with the bike to work scheme, you'll be using the panniers to transport work clothes? You'll want them dry when you get there so can't recommend these highly enough...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-b ... s=panniers
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Vantage wrote:Tortec make some of the better racks and as your bike is a disc braked one, you'll need a disc compatible rack...

Doesn't neccesarily follow, if the brake is mounted within the rear triangle there is no need for a disc specific rack!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

This forum has a really good technical section, like here: viewforum.php?f=5
I should coco.
Lee1976uk

Post by Lee1976uk »

Thanks for the replies. I will be using it for work to carry clothes.. I have a rucksack at the moment but it's too heavy to constantly take to work.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I'm running a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack and MTX Trunkbag DXP on the Team version of that bike since last summer and they are fine so far, and while seeming expensive - you will pay £80 for the 2 if you buy fairly well - in the world of the bicyclist this turns out to be the lower end :x .

I waterproofed it all when new as a matter of course.

To translate MTX is one quick release systems; RX is the other one - I think the RX bags are smaller. DX is an expandable top and P is fold up side panniers in the side pockets.

I have toured without camping for up to about a week just with this setup.

Prices seem good at the moment and you may get it under the C2W scheme.

I had an extensive discussion with soemon over on the talkswindon forums about all the various questions over several months on this thread:
http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,9504.0.html

Ferdinand
Last edited by ferdinand on 3 Jan 2015, 9:18am, edited 1 time in total.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

PS If you are still on the original semi slick tyres you may want to pay some attention to that for the winter.

I'd recommend something more like 37mm for comfort and go for one with puncture resistance. I am on Schwalbe Marathon Supremes for usual use but have just switched to Confirm Top Contact Winter IIs.

There are other options which are probably as good.

Ferdinand
Lee1976uk

Post by Lee1976uk »

Thanks for that Ferdinand will have a wee look at that I switched the tires to Schwalbe marathon Plus. Not much. Clearance they struggled to put a mudguard on. Will the mudguard have a say on what rack and panniers I use?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Nope.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Lee1976uk wrote: Will the mudguard have a say on what rack and panniers I use?
It shouldn't do - it doesn't on my ones.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

There shouldn't be an effect on the rack by the mudguard, but with a 37mm tyre on the back I found the tyre-seatpost spacing to be so tight to a full mudguard (SKS chromoplastic) that it clogged on muddy trails. So I replaced that with an SKS Beavertail at the back, leaving the full mudguard at the front.

I protected my legs by putting a 'Crud Catcher' type mud type guard on the back of the seat post, rather than on the bottom tube where they normally live, trimmed a little to fit round the mechanicals.

It may be that you will be fine.

Ferdinand
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Union 34 Stripe Rucksack Seat Post Bag - 30 Ltr from sjscycles.co.uk
Manufacturer: Union_34
Description
Clever versatile bags. Union 34 bags offer a unique opportunity to meet the needs of the commute and leisure cyclist. Union 34 bags combine the versatility of a rucksack with the practicality of a pannier. All offer clever storage solutions for bike and office essentials. Patented intelligent fixing systems for both pannier and seat post mounts. Union 34 is the complete bag solution cyclists have been waiting for.

- 30 Litre
- 15.6" Laptop case
- Outer: Tough 600dn water resistant fabric
- Reflective trims back and front
- Spandex bottle/pump pockets
- Clip on light strap
- Padded sternum straps
- Removable rain cover
- Inner: Dedicated cycle essentials and clothing storage including padded D lock holder
- Expandable document and stationary storage inc. laptop case
pwa

Post by pwa »

Another thumbs up for Tortec racks, which are well designed and well made for a price that makes the Tubus racks look like a rip-off. I once replaced a Tubus rack with a Tortec and was surprised to find that not only was the Tortec very neatly welded, but its bolts, washers, stays and other fixings were stainless steel and almost identical to the Tubus ones.