Three! more cyclists killed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Three! more cyclists killed

Post by Flinders »

iviehoff wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:If somebody really wants your car, they won't be too bothered about waiting until you are getting in or out and then taking it, using whatever personal violence they find necessary to accomplish their purpose. Plenty of cars are easier to steal than that so it's not often "necessary."

This is why when my neighbour suffered a break-in to steal his car-keys while he was in the house, the door being physically broken to enter, he was pleased that the keys were relatively easy for the thieves to find, rather than them entering further into the house and encountering its occupants. He was less impressed by the technicality the insurance company used to avoid paying out, which had nothing to do with any such detail.

How could they avoid paying out when the thief had actually broken into the house?

If I were an opportunist thief, and I could see keys through the letterbox, I might break in, if I couldn't see keys, I might look for another house where I could. I suspect that seriously targeted thefts where thieves might consider violence would be more for high-performance cars than run-of-the mill ones, wouldn't they?