Snow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Snow

Post by Vorpal »

Si wrote:I would disagree - if it's just snow and no ice then a good mud tyre with deep, well spaced tread will grip and shed much better in my experience. However, as an all rounder, where ice may be present, then any losses on snow are more than made up for on ice.

Yes, in fresh snow, a knobbly tyre is better. And a tyre made for snow is even better. But a studded tyre is good, too. And yes, it's performance on ice makes it a good ll rounder in winter :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

In Hull where I was staying with my folks there was a 20 second smattering late on Saturday and that was it, not a peep otherwise, nothing to the immediate West, North or East of the city, Lincolnshire certainly had some as there were remnants as I drove back this afty. Letchworth had a few flakes apparently but can't have been much.
Normal tyres for me on my Christmas day ride and also got a good ride in Sunday morning in glorious sunshine (if not a bit parky at 0C..lol)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Still @ 8" outside my place this morning - now compounded by overnight frost! Still riding the Sport Contacts at the minute.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Frosted in. :shock:

No snow at all, but we've had two nights of hard frosts and as our drive is long and steep (plus north facing) and we live on a steep narrow lane, both the drive and the lane are treacherous. The car is like an igloo and has been since Sunday.

We would be ok (just) in the car, but there's no way that I'm getting the bike out. I couldn't even get down the drive.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Hard frost and sudden patches of ice (some of which are hidden under the frost just to make it doubly nasty) around here. Beautiful ride out into the countryside - amazingly picturesque with the bright sunlight glinting off the frost.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Heavy frost in Streatham London
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Was out on roads that had sheet ice, black ice and frost on ungritted back roads though no snow with no problems on rubbish non spike tyres and a scrap 'seventies road bike rebuilt by myself yesterday with only one brake in my part of Scotland! Try some Snowsocks for your car as they do a similar job to snow chains and are like a big football sock so are easy to fit!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Bikefayre wrote:Was out on roads that had sheet ice, black ice and frost on ungritted back roads though no snow with no problems on rubbish non spike tyres and a scrap 'seventies road bike rebuilt by myself yesterday with only one brake in my part of Scotland!

I was riding in the New Forest yesterday and all was fine and sunny except I got up quite a bit of speed on a downhill road with a ford at the bottom. What I hadn't accounted for was cars going through the ford carried the water onto the road where it froze so the last 100ft was sheet ice. I got about halfway not daring to touch anything when it dawned on me I was not going the make it. So I laid the bike down and slid along the road for the last 30-40ft straight into the ford. Fortunately it was a sunny day as leggings, gillet, gloves, feet were all sopping wet and there were 20 miles still to go. Big advantage though of no gravel rash thanks to the ice slide but a couple of big bruises ameliorated by the cold compress of wet lycra for the next hour. Biggest disaster though was no-one else in the rest of the party had a helmet cam to memorialise it. I would like to thank my Buff though for saving my life [TRADE MARK SIGN]
PDQ

Post by PDQ »

I've given up
Attachments
IMG_0068.jpg
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Frost on Birmingham :( I think I would rather have snow as the roads and pavement have a layer of frost that try to have me
on my back.
Mostly walking my bike on the grass verge till I got to the main road, which is slightly safer after the trucks have been up and down it all night.

With the roads being like 'The Grand Canyon' before winter, what the heck will they be like once it gets warmer!
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
scoot

Post by scoot »

They look a good price. Regrettably we aren't going to get any snow down here (Essex) to try them :wink: I work with an actual genuine witch (so she says) and she informs we won't have any so I'm not going to dissagree just incase she turns me into frog :D

Hope you enjoy bit oooop norf.

Slightly more seriously: I am now on the mtb with knobblies. Last year we didn't have snow so no probs there, the year before we had nearly 2 weeks worth and I came off 3 times. I am convinced that no one tyre would be suitable for: soft snow, hard snow, Ice under snow, slush etc. Given that my commute is both countrry and town 50/50 I don't think there is anyway I can cover all eventualities. But I will still be on my bike.

For info I don't have a 4 wheel option, its either cycle or motorcycle and I prefer to fall off slower rather than faster with the added weight of engine etc :(

Having said that I will still make it in more than likely on time which is more than some of my car driving colleagues that actually live closer!

As they say what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger :D

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What's going on with this weather?

9am here yesterday it was -3degC
9am today it was +11degC

That's a 14degC difference in 24hrs. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

scoot wrote:

They look a good price. Regrettably we aren't going to get any snow down here
Paul

I bought a set this morning after reading that a member of the bike club broke his leg after hitting black ice in Coppull near Chorley. That and last nights ride was a wee bit slippery in places and this morning there was frost everywhere. I don't really anticipate snow but the steel nobs on those tyres will come in handy on the icy bits I think. I hope!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:What's going on with this weather?

9am here yesterday it was -3degC
9am today it was +11degC

That's a 14degC difference in 24hrs. :shock:

The men in black have been saying for years that due to global warming and stuff, extremes in weather will become more frequent and worse in future. Before long the holiday companies will be advising customers to pack both string bikinis and full Antarctic gear for day outings to the seaside :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It's because Britain is right where the polar cold air and the warmer southern air meet. There seems to be a constant battle between the 2 air masses with one side advancing then retreating. That's why there's such a variation in temperature.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com