Awful, awful cycling and I feel totally incensed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
julianm

Re: Awful, awful cycling and I feel totally incensed

Post by julianm »

a bike accelerates much quicker than a car from standstill...
- well there are plenty of drivers around that are playing with their phone while they sit at the lights, or can`t find the handbrake or 1st, or are just dozy, or even asleep but I wouldn`t rely on that myself, even if I had Hoy`s thighs.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

julianm wrote:
a bike accelerates much quicker than a car from standstill...
- well there are plenty of drivers around that are playing with their phone while they sit at the lights, or can`t find the handbrake or 1st, or are just dozy, or even asleep but I wouldn`t rely on that myself, even if I had Hoy`s thighs.

You don't need Hoy's thighs or dozy motorists. By the time they have let the clutch out and got the car moving most people on bikes will be well ahead of them. I usually expect to clear a junction before the first car but thereafter they have the advantage on me.
julianm

Post by julianm »

Wish I still had access to an accelerometer - would make for a bit of informative fun if nothing else & get you away from that traffic.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Tonyf33 wrote:Bicycler...I first and foremost said I'd feel great consternation ..does that not indicate the stress and upset that I would have felt even if for someone whom caused their own demise. your comment is uncalled for as you seem to be indicating my first concern was to myself. clearly it wasn't!

Your paragraph verbatim:
I felt so angry..firstly because that's the worst bit of cycling I've seen personally, secondly because if it were not for my awareness and quick reactions he'd have been under my wheels or smashed into my windscreen (likely the former) causing me great consternation & a couple of hours wasted time at the scene and chasing up damages etc ..and thirdly it's p####s like that that propagate the them and us situation. :twisted: well done :roll:

I'll happily accept that your main concern was for the cyclist's safety but that was not immediately apparent to me when I first read your post. My apologies for my misunderstanding. There was no intent to misrepresent.

EDIT: Fixed quotes
Last edited by Bicycler on 29 Dec 2014, 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
HebdenBiker

Post by HebdenBiker »

TL:DR version:

A cyclist cut you up at the lights, so you drove alongside and verbally abused and harrassed him for a bit.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tonyf33 wrote:

I drove alongside for a short distance and told him what a twonk he was and that cycling like that is likely to get you killed & what peeves people off and makes it worse for the rest of us but he just blanked me..probably because he knew he was completely in the wrong.
I really wanted to pull up further and confront him but I suspect idiots like that don't give a flying one and won't learn until something drastic happens.

Personally i would've considered reporting you for threatening behaviour, you had to think twice about something whilst driving and thought verbally attacking the individual whilst sitting in your box was a good idea. If someone did that to you on your bike you'd think they were a right twonk and ignore them - just as this chap did.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!