10,000 miles in a year finally

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tigerbiten

Re: 10,000 miles in a year finally

Post by Tigerbiten »

Congrats.
I'm around 7,700 miles this year.

The last time I checked, my sat nav was close to my cycle computer, about +/-0.1%.
It all depended on how hard my tyres where if it under or over reading.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

When I were a bit more than a lad I used to measure time trial courses. No GPS or computers, just the old star wheel cyclometers. The ones used for accurate course measuring were simply rev counters.

Measuring involved first riding twice over a measured mile - our local one had been laid by a surveyor using a steel chain that was calibrated to take the temperature into account and marked with studs at each end of a dead straight mile of road. Noting the number of revolutions per mile the proposed course was then ridden at no more than 12mph as the counter could strike erratically at higher speeds. The number of revs was recorded at every junction The final step was to return to the measured mile and check that there had been no change to the reading. A puncture was a disaster as it ruined the whole days work.

This was also before the days of portable calculators so deciding the distance at each point involved an old fashioned long division calculation.

When I started the ride had to be measured 3 feet from the edge of the road but this was changed to "follow the racing line"

I wonder if it was as accurate as computers and GPS.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Well done - 10,000 miles is just something that I could dream of.

I've just got back into cycling after about a fifteen year break. I've done just under 1,300 miles in just over 11 months (started measuring after the new year). This coming year I'm hoping for about 2,500 miles - but I'd never reach 10,000 in a year.

Well done on getting to 10,000 - what's your target for next year? :lol:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Another 10k :lol: To Go faster at all standard TT distances that i contest. But most of all enjoy some decent cycling miles with the people i know, love and enjoy their company whilst whiling away the miles.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hondated

Post by hondated »

NUKe wrote:I have been trying to do 10,000 miles in year for the last 4, And have been twarted by weather, injury and work but this year I have managed it. Finally passed the 10,000 mile mark for the year this morning :D :D :D

Congratulations that's some achievement.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

154 miles to go... and counting down.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Nice one NUKe - I just passed 5,000 yesterday and was pleased with that having lost 10+ weeks to various ailments. 10,000 is a great achievement but for me that would probably be the precursor to a divorce! Lol
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Well done Nuke. 10,000 miles whilst holding down a full time job and looking after a family is certainly impressive. I'm currently at 10,375 but my part time job is becoming so part time as to be non existent and I've no kids to worry about which does make it easier.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pedalsheep wrote: ... I'm currently at 10,375 ...

Before the doubters get going, Well done! There's still a week left to enjoy some more riding. :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

130 to go....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:
pedalsheep wrote: ... I'm currently at 10,375 ...

Before the doubters get going, Well done! There's still a week left to enjoy some more riding. :D

+1
Well done! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Well done Pedal Sheep. Hope the new year bring you better fortunes on the job front.
eileithyia I'll just say well done in advance. It was your post of 3 of 4 years ago, made me realise I should go for it
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

I feel such a wimp. :oops:
4,470miles.

I'll do the "final" 30miles by the end of the year, though snow is forecast for later today ...........
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:I feel such a wimp. :oops:
4,470miles.

I'll do the "final" 30miles by the end of the year, though snow is forecast for later today ...........

Don't say that :!:
I've probably just broken 4000 but its how you do it and what for, that matters, to me any way.
Everyone enjoys long day rides in the sun with good scenery good company and a café or two / pub.

But we all have commitments that need to be done....................first..................unless you employ a slave :D
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Mick F wrote:I feel such a wimp. :oops:
4,470miles.

Don't say that :!:
I've probably just broken 4000 but its how you do it and what for, that matters, to me any way.
Everyone enjoys long day rides in the sun with good scenery good company and a café or two / pub.

But we all have commitments that need to be done....................first..................unless you employ a slave :D

Depends on how your life is organised, taking up cycling at a formatitive point in my adult life, cycling always come first, other commitments such as housework and decorating second.
:lol: