A good demonstration of why not to blind side a lorry

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bicycler

Demonstration of the importance of raising driving standards

Post by Bicycler »

FTFY
Vorpal

Re: A good demonstration of why not to blind side a lorry

Post by Vorpal »

A good demonstration of why not to allow multiple trailer lorries to drive in towns and cities.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

axel_knutt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCcqZs_3UHA

entirely the womans fault - see how she deliberatley swerves into front of the lorry; she was luck to get out of it a live? Why on earth did she do it? stupid woman?
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Both clips - cyclist - what were they thinking!

First clip - I can't believe that the truck is completely oblivious that he's just made contact with something.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Drifter wrote:First clip - I can't believe that the truck is completely oblivious that he's just made contact with something.

I have a lorry driver friend who had a feeling that something wasn't just right.
When he stopped and got out to check he found a small car sideways that he had been pushing along.
He had no idea where she had come but the woman driver had just turned right in front of him, assuming he had seen her. :roll:
So if a car can't be felt, or seen, then a cyclist doesn't stand a chance.
We have to be very aware of the lack of vision that lorry drivers have and treat them accordingly.

I have a great respect for lorry drivers but I do agree there are places where the larger lorries shouldn't be allowed.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm so glad that Sweden and France (or Volvo and Renault most likely) didn't succeed in delaying safer lorry cab visibility from 2019 to 2025.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm interested that people are blaming the cyclist. We don't see much of the run-up to the incident. However, traffic does not appear to be that heavy. Therefore, since lorries are faster than bikes on the open road, it is prima facie more likely that we are seeing the late stages of a lorry partly overtaking and then turning into a bike, than that we are seeing a bike coming up the near side of a lorry.

This applies in general to side swipes. In heavy traffic, it's likely that the bike went up the side of the lorry. In light traffic, the reverse will typically apply.

And either way, at least under UK road practice, the lorry should be signalling well before it turns.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21960295

Bus gets hit by lamppost 2as the headline
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.