Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kylecycler

Re: Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Post by kylecycler »

recumbentpanda wrote:My response is to ride with an inane grin (it comes naturally on a recumbent, especially if, like me, you are inane. :lol: )

If a panda came riding towards me on a recumbent with an inane grin on its face, clutching a bunch of bamboo leaves in one hand and waving with the other, I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to wave back. :D
661-Pete wrote:I sometimes have 'bad days' when out cycling. These are days when I set myself wondering, what's the bloody point* in being out here at all? (those who understand depression will know what I mean).

Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going!" I understand what you mean, I've been there, but there's even less point in not being out there. Trick is to keep going until there is a point, until the feeling passes, however long that takes. The year before last I'd had one of the worst days of my life, went out on the bike, a few miles into the run everything hurt, no energy, what was the point? Two hours later, nothing hurt, I felt I could go on forever, and I couldn't understand the way I'd felt two hours before. Don't know how or why that happens, it just does, provided you keep going.
hgtevelo

Re: Feeling a bit lonely......

Post by hgtevelo »

AndyK wrote:
hgtevelo wrote:I think it's cycling clubs (and I am a member of one) who can be a bit unfriendly certainly when they are all out on a club run. Where I live in Harrogate it's quite well known that a couple of clubs are a bit up themselves. But of course you can find that in any walk of life

Hmm. If it's a road club then I'm not surprised. Riding in close formation, the front riders should be scanning the road ahead for potholes while the rest of the group should be watching the riders in front of them like hawks, ready to react to any signals or changes in speed. A split-second lapse of concentration in a peloton and you've got bodies and riders scattered all over the road. That's the reason I avoid the local road club's rides, I find the whole thing too stressful. (That, and being too slow.)

Anyway, my point is you shouldn't expect a group of racing cyclists on a training run to wave. It would be a dangerous distraction.

Yep that's a fair point. But I sometimes think club riders think they are above a friendly gesture when out on road (as said b4 I'm member of a club and see it happens) and can look down on others a bit. Especially the Rapha clad type.........don't get me started :lol:
hgtevelo

Re: Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Post by hgtevelo »

kylecycler wrote:
recumbentpanda wrote:My response is to ride with an inane grin (it comes naturally on a recumbent, especially if, like me, you are inane. :lol: )

If a panda came riding towards me on a recumbent with an inane grin on its face, clutching a bunch of bamboo leaves in one hand and waving with the other, I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to wave back. :D
661-Pete wrote:I sometimes have 'bad days' when out cycling. These are days when I set myself wondering, what's the bloody point* in being out here at all? (those who understand depression will know what I mean).

Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going!" I understand what you mean, I've been there, but there's even less point in not being out there. Trick is to keep going until there is a point, until the feeling passes, however long that takes. The year before last I'd had one of the worst days of my life, went out on the bike, a few miles into the run everything hurt, no energy, what was the point? Two hours later, nothing hurt, I felt I could go on forever, and I couldn't understand the way I'd felt two hours before. Don't know how or why that happens, it just does, provided you keep going.

Yes have to agree with all of that. As a victim of depression I know how it is. Can't say I always feel great on the bike with it, but always better when finished!

Doesn't stop me giving a wave though :wink: