Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Feeling a bit lonely......

Post by tatanab »

661-Pete wrote:
Bicycler wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Oh it's the waving thread again. Nice.

Agreed. It doesn't help.
I'm not clear what your point is, both of you.
I think their point is "Here we go again. We go through this topic about every 6 weeks".
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

That and it inevitably develops into a load of pointless stereotyping and pigeonholing about which types of cyclists are the worst offenders
Bikefayre

Post by Bikefayre »

Aye! Why do you think I'm called the Bikefayre? It because other cylists do not see me, somtimes they run into me so just like fairies no one sees me! When you have the wrong bike, clothes, shoes,etc you simply do not exist. Still say hello, though they look round and near shern themselves to see where the noise is coming from! Some still do wave so not all are lycradroids!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Not only do we go through this topic every few weeks. But everyone is their own person, on their own ride for their own reasons. You have no right to demand anything of their time.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Guess we should stop discussing saddle choice, tyre choice, frame material, helmet debates, cycle accidents, clothing choice blah blah blah.
All have been discussed countless times on countless forums by countless cyclists and non cyclists.
We'd better warn the newbie cyclists what they are and aren't allowed to wonder about :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I find other cyclists fall roughly into two categories on the question of social interaction. One lot give me sweet smiles and cheery greetings. I suspect this is because they think I am disabled - my ancient recumbent does have a rather NHS wheelchair aesthetic :) This makes me realise how grim it must be for disabled people being sweetly twinkled at all day.

The other lot look at me with a kind of expression I can only describe as suppressed outrage. I am guilty of riding a different bicycle to them. I got this on the Brompton too, back when they were rare. People are uncomfortable with difference.

My response is to ride with an inane grin (it comes naturally on a recumbent, especially if , like me, you are inane. :lol: )
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

I think it's cycling clubs (and I am a member of one) who can be a bit unfriendly certainly when they are all out on a club run. Where I live in Harrogate it's quite well known that a couple of clubs are a bit up themselves. But of course you can find that in any walk of life
Vinko

Post by Vinko »

RodWatts wrote:There was a time, and there still is, when most people out on the road would give each other a cheery wave. If you were overtaking someone or v.v you'd pass the time of day, where are you going, how far, have a little boasting, etc. even ride together for a few miles having a chat about life, the universe and everything. That's what makes cycling so good!
Today a group of 10-12 London Dynamo riders glided (?) past me , eyes straight ahead, not a word. How sad is that.
I'll be out there again tomorrow so give me a wave or at least a shy smile.....
Rod

Hello RodWatts !

I tend to smile and say hello to everyone, so thought I would do so to you too.....have a "virtual" wave too and a :D
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I do like slowing to chat to cyclists on small local roads, and riding 2 abreast. They often feel a bit shocked thinking "whos this nutter?"
Besides the car drivers go mental because they cant pass tooting their horns....Ahhh the highway code....its a wonderful thing... :mrgreen:

I dont feel so ronery then :lol:
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Mark1978 wrote:Not only do we go through this topic every few weeks. But everyone is their own person, on their own ride for their own reasons. You have no right to demand anything of their time.

If returning someone's social pleasantry has come to be viewed as an unreasonable burden and threat to individual autonomy I despair for the society we live in.
661-Pete

Re: Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Post by 661-Pete »

It's all been said before, but whether they do, or whether they don't (give me a wave, I mean), whichever it is, doesn't mean the End of the World to me.

I sometimes have 'bad days' when out cycling. These are days when I set myself wondering, what's the bloody point* in being out here at all? (those who understand depression will know what I mean). Anyway, on such days (a) don't expect a wave from me, sorry, and (b) if someone falls in alongside me in the hope of a friendly chat, they might get less than they were hoping for (sorry Fluffybunny!).

So it's certainly not my place to judge others. :oops:

*Some will recognise those words as Kenneth Williams' last diary entry, before he (according to some reports) took his own life. I haven't come to that pass yet.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

661-Pete wrote:It's all been said before, but whether they do, or whether they don't (give me a wave, I mean), whichever it is, doesn't mean the End of the World to me.

I sometimes have 'bad days' when out cycling. These are days when I set myself wondering, what's the bloody point* in being out here at all? (those who understand depression will know what I mean). Anyway, on such days (a) don't expect a wave from me, sorry, and (b) if someone falls in alongside me in the hope of a friendly chat, they might get less than they were hoping for (sorry Fluffybunny!).

So it's certainly not my place to judge others. :oops:

*Some will recognise those words as Kenneth Williams' last diary entry, before he (according to some reports) took his own life. I haven't come to that pass yet.

Yup.

On really bad days I judge everyone.

8-9 years ago I did, hope you never do, it's not nice at all.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mark1964

Post by mark1964 »

I generally find most cyclists quite friendly. I often stop and chat, exchange pleasantries out on my commute - try doing it in a car!. And if you get a puncture on the Bristol to Bath Railway Path, you'll be offered help within five minutes :)
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

fluffybunnyuk wrote:I do like slowing to chat to cyclists on small local roads, and riding 2 abreast. They often feel a bit shocked thinking "whos this nutter? Besides the car drivers go mental because they cant pass tooting their horns....Ahhh the highway code....its a wonderful thing... "

As I brake hard to make sure you go on your way without me, thereby giving the vehicle behind the opportunity to overtake, I won't be wondering who is this 'nutter?' That's one syllable too many.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

hgtevelo wrote:I think it's cycling clubs (and I am a member of one) who can be a bit unfriendly certainly when they are all out on a club run. Where I live in Harrogate it's quite well known that a couple of clubs are a bit up themselves. But of course you can find that in any walk of life

Hmm. If it's a road club then I'm not surprised. Riding in close formation, the front riders should be scanning the road ahead for potholes while the rest of the group should be watching the riders in front of them like hawks, ready to react to any signals or changes in speed. A split-second lapse of concentration in a peloton and you've got bodies and riders scattered all over the road. That's the reason I avoid the local road club's rides, I find the whole thing too stressful. (That, and being too slow.)

Anyway, my point is you shouldn't expect a group of racing cyclists on a training run to wave. It would be a dangerous distraction.