Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Feeling a bit lonely......

Post by PH »

RodWatts wrote:PH
No, I can't get over it! I'll just keep on waving and smiling like an idiot....
What a poor, miserable world this is turning into if we can't nod to or acknowledge some else's existence.
Rod x

I wouldn't for a moment discourage you from greeting whoever you like, if it's me I will of course greet you back.
What you need to get over is the idea that it's a new thing, it isn't, it's ever changing but it's always been there. If you can't accept that you're going to in for a lot of disappointments.
In the Outer Hebrides, I was taken aback that many drivers would give me a friendly wave, the population density increases the circle.
karlt

Post by karlt »

SteveHunter wrote:I acknowledge all other cyclists when I'm out on a leisurely ride. I don't bother when commuting though as I would be a nodding dog as well.

I find large groups are the worst for acknowledging you.

Heh. My commute usually only sees two or three other cyclists over the 14 miles so no problems acknowledging.
karlt

Post by karlt »

mercalia wrote:Look at their webpage frontpage for the answer why?

http://www.londondynamo.co.uk/

speed freak automotons with dark glasses and no sense of humour?

"First, a "health warning". We are a serious club committed to performance based cycling and cycle racing." lol :lol:

They're sportsmen; you're a leisure/utility cyclist? Different approach, different aims, different outlook. We have all types in our club; some are more narrowly focused. I can't imagine that in That London there's too much difficulty finding a club that's less sport-oriented if you want one. Let them be.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

This may be stereotyping, but it's the roadie racing types that I find to be the rudest non-acknowledging-a-fellow-cyclist sods.
And every time they don't acknowledge my nod, I find myself saying a little prayer to the PF that they hit a series of really really big thorn filled pot holes to claim both wheels. :mrgreen: I get a little joy from that vision :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Vantage wrote:This may be stereotyping, but it's the roadie racing types that I find to be the rudest non-acknowledging-a-fellow-cyclist sods.
And every time they don't acknowledge my nod, I find myself saying a little prayer to the PF that they hit a series of really really big thorn filled pot holes to claim both wheels. :mrgreen: I get a little joy from that vision :)

Round here it's Yoof on MTBs. Mind, they're 90% of the time on the pavement where no-one gets acknowledgement from me lest they think I approve.
hondated

Post by hondated »

RodWatts wrote:PH
No, I can't get over it! I'll just keep on waving and smiling like an idiot....
What a poor, miserable world this is turning into if we can't nod to or acknowledge some else's existence.
Rod x

Rod if its any comfort most motorcyclists I encounter are the same. I am like you I nod on both forms of transport and it rattles me too.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vantage wrote: I find myself saying a little prayer to the PF that they hit a series of really really big thorn filled pot holes to claim both wheels. :mrgreen: I get a little joy from that vision :)

Especially if they're on tubs! :twisted: Q: do roadies still use tubs on club rides?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what are "tubs"? Oh now you lot know I am not a roadie :lol:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Oh it's the waving thread again. Nice.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Mark1978 wrote:Oh it's the waving thread again. Nice.

Agreed. It doesn't help.

Is it just me who can't read this thread title without thinking of Team America: World Police :lol:
beardy

Post by beardy »

SteveHunter wrote:I acknowledge all other cyclists when I'm out on a leisurely ride. I don't bother when commuting though as I would be a nodding dog as well.

I find large groups are the worst for acknowledging you.

If you are about number 26 in a stream of forty Audax riders you tend to feel a bit sorry for the poor person cycling towards you getting hoarse from replying to all of our "Good Mornings", especially when they have hardly even woken up yet. :lol:
Flite

Post by Flite »

Which is why on busy summer weekends I avoid travelling west from home along the C2C.
50 cheery hellos in 4 miles gets a bit wearing, but I try to always acknowledge a fellow cyclist/human being.

Actually, in the winter it gets a bit lonely around here, then I speak to the cattle, sheep, black grouse, red grouse.......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:what are "tubs"? Oh now you lot know I am not a roadie :lol:

Sorry! It's not so much being a roadie, as being an oldie, I think: at any rate, never a roadie myself (although I ride a road bike)....

"Tub" is slang for tubular tyre, the sort where the inner tube is sewn into the outer and you glue the thing to your rim. Tedious in the extreme when you get a 'visit'. And expensive! But very light and fast.

For my sins, I used to ride on tubs myself, way back in the 1970s - until I was afflicted with a double 'visit' through riding over some low-life pub-goer's discarded bottle :evil: one dark and drizzly night in Croydon - with only one spare.

They're not so popular now, except in actual racing, seeing as 'clinchers' or ordinary tyres have much improved and got lighter over the years.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Ron

Post by Ron »

beardy wrote:We should be celebrating the fact that they paid attention to what they were taught when they were young.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HCKfYakLU

That is the problem, I think, having that sort of propaganda drummed into you from an early age and apparently not realising that things change with adulthood. It's a bit like the school cycle training, ok for children but should not be considered appropriate for adults.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bicycler wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Oh it's the waving thread again. Nice.

Agreed. It doesn't help.
I'm not clear what your point is, both of you. Is it, that there's no sense in feeling miffed when a fellow-cyclist blanks you?

If so, I'd agree; 'get a life'. But I regret to own up that I've signally failed to 'get a life' on some occasions in the past. This time of year, especially, is full of uncomfortable thoughts for me, dwelling on events of a few years back. Some are not to share on this forum. But others concern particular 'unfriendliness' from other cyclists, not on the road but on an internet forum (not this one). I suppose we've all had that, but my experience particularly rankles. I've probably moaned about this before, on this forum: best I leave it at that. Unless someone's prepared to PM me of course...

But back to the 'unfriendly' road cyclists. I think one should stress that not all roadies are anything like that. I've had friendly nods and 'good mornings', both from solitary cyclists out on a fast training run, and from club pelotons. We shouldn't tar all with the same brush, as the saying goes.