Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodWatts

Snubbed when greeting other cyclists

Post by RodWatts »

There was a time, and there still is, when most people out on the road would give each other a cheery wave. If you were overtaking someone or v.v you'd pass the time of day, where are you going, how far, have a little boasting, etc. even ride together for a few miles having a chat about life, the universe and everything. That's what makes cycling so good!
Today a group of 10-12 London Dynamo riders glided (?) past me , eyes straight ahead, not a word. How sad is that.
I'll be out there again tomorrow so give me a wave or at least a shy smile.....
Rod
Last edited by Graham on 21 Jan 2015, 5:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improve title
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
reohn2

Re: Feeling a bit lonely......

Post by reohn2 »

I always find it sad that when there's no one else about two people can't exchange knowledge of each other existence.
It's a sign of a poor society IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

RodWatts wrote:There was a time, and there still is, when most people out on the road would give each other a cheery wave. If you were overtaking someone or v.v you'd pass the time of day, where are you going, how far, have a little boasting, etc. even ride together for a few miles having a chat about life, the universe and everything. That's what makes cycling so good!
Today a group of 10-12 London Dynamo riders glided (?) past me , eyes straight ahead, not a word. How sad is that.
I'll be out there again tomorrow so give me a wave or at least a shy smile.....
Rod

:wink:
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

It's human nature, get over it. We acknowledge those we see as being similar. Maybe you see everyone in the universe as being similar, though if you go round waving at them all you will at best get some odd looks. Maybe you just see cyclists as being similar, maybe the road club just see other road groups as being similar, people will decide for themselves. On my 30 min morning commute I often cross paths with a couple of dozen cyclists, I'd look like a nodding dog to greet them all. Out on a leisurely Sunday run, I'll probably give a greeting to all other cyclists I come across, out enjoying the same thing as me, it's up to them if they respond.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I always acknowledge other cyclists outside of towns - people think you are weird if you do so in town. :lol:
Linux since 1999
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I acknowledge all other cyclists when I'm out on a leisurely ride. I don't bother when commuting though as I would be a nodding dog as well.

I find large groups are the worst for acknowledging you.
easyroller

London Dynamo

Post by easyroller »

RodWatts wrote:Today a group of 10-12 London Dynamo riders glided (?) past me , eyes straight ahead, not a word. How sad is that.

Don't take it personally.

London Dynamo don't exactly have a reputation for being the friendliest riders or well versed in cycling etiquette....

Were they ragging it around Richmond Park by any chance?
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

Get a recumbent. Every other bent rider you come across will want to talk (ok so there are not many).

More seriously though, I quite agree with your point. I think it is easier to get talking to other cyclists if there is some sort or catalist for the conversation, perhaps an Audax or ctc mudguard sticker. Come to think of it mudguards and a carradice bag is probably a good indicator of someone who might be approachable :)
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

PH
No, I can't get over it! I'll just keep on waving and smiling like an idiot....
What a poor, miserable world this is turning into if we can't nod to or acknowledge some else's existence.
Rod x
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm afraid I'm very much reminded of the bunch of roadies, who, coming up behind me on a narrow lane, delivered a series of "Good Mornings" - but this was not a friendly gesture, so it seemed, instead it was a subtle hint to me to "Get out of the way!". You've got to accept, if people are like that, that it's their problem, not yours.

It can't do any harm to keep up the greetings. You'll get a few friendly responses, especially if you get out of town a bit. A few is better than none.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Post by beardy »

We should be celebrating the fact that they paid attention to what they were taught when they were young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HCKfYakLU
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I tend to greet most people - dog walkers, pedestrians, those waiting for the bus, sweeping the streets, cycling... whatever...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Look at their webpage frontpage for the answer why?

http://www.londondynamo.co.uk/

speed freak automotons with dark glasses and no sense of humour?

"First, a "health warning". We are a serious club committed to performance based cycling and cycle racing." lol :lol:
beardy

Post by beardy »

Within their "what kit do I need" section
It goes without saying that you should wear a helmet.

I guess, it goes without saying, I will not be joining them.
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:speed freak automotons with dark glasses and no sense of humour?

"First, a "health warning". We are a serious club committed to performance based cycling and cycle racing." lol :lol:

So which is worse, not returning a greeting, or openly mocking someone?
Goes back to my point thet we only have an affinity with those we see as similar.
I was wrong when I said that was human nature, it goes byond that into the wider animal kingdom, that's what the ugly duckling story is about.