proviz victim blaming advert

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
honesty

proviz victim blaming advert

Post by honesty »

Postboxer

Re: proviz victim blaming advert

Post by Postboxer »

It's amazing how much that jacket glows, even when cycling through unlit areas.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Wouldn't surprise if the first time someone gets knocked off their bike when wearing one these jackets the driver claims they dazzled by it and could not see properly. I have bright and high vis clothing, lights on the bike and on my helmet but if someone is not looking in the right direction none of this will matter one jot. And there seem to be plenty of drivers who don't care about your presence on the road whatever your visibility is - they seem compelled to try and squeeze past you rather than wait for a safe space to do so. So I won't be buying a 'radioactive gorilla' suit myself, I am happy that I make myself visible enough to counter any contributory negligence claims should I be unfortunate enough o be shunted off the road by Mr Magoo.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The level of victim blaming (in the description, I'm not blessing their video with a view) is atrocious. The fact is that motorists are already literally let off murder without a trial...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92725

You don't need to be a lighthouse, you just need motorists to look where they are going. This is the problem we need to overcome, and no amount of clothing will change the inattention we have bred on our roads.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The local fell runners use the roads near us for winter evening training & one of them has a similar jacket - you can definitely see where he (I think it is a he but they are a mixed group) is when out in the car but I don't find it excessively bright as the level of reflectivity doen't seem to be quite as bright as some reflectives, there's just a lot of it.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm always surprised as a passenger by some of the comments I hear from who ever is driving. My favourite being, "Look at that pillock riding with no lights!"
Lights or not, said pillock was seen or he wouldn't have been mentioned.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I was like the people who stop and tell me that I'm invisible. They normally get very confused when I ask who they are talking to...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

It looked like they surpressed the cyclists rear light on the video (& the dark jacket) because it was terribly feint and enhanced the 'glow' on the jacket. I might report it to the ASA for false representation as it has clearly being altered to suit their agenda and clearly won't glow like that in any environ short of a direct all around beam of light projected on it..which a car headlights won't..
Absolutely disgraceful :twisted:
honesty

Post by honesty »

That was my first thought as well. Watching it again it looks like they've gone for a trendy desaturated look, which limits the colour gamut as the red is very weak throughout the video.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is almost worth a complaint to the ASA

The advert is misleading, makes unsubstantiated claims and misrepresent the abilities of the product
geckobike

Post by geckobike »

Take a look at this screen grab of their advert. The front light is pointed downwards at 45 degrees.
They are being covertly disingenuous by trying to make the bike lights look less bright

TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Tonyf33 wrote:It looked like they surpressed the cyclists rear light on the video (& the dark jacket) because it was terribly feint and enhanced the 'glow' on the jacket. I might report it to the ASA for false representation as it has clearly being altered to suit their agenda and clearly won't glow like that in any environ short of a direct all around beam of light projected on it..which a car headlights won't..
Absolutely disgraceful :twisted:

If you look at it closely its clear that any difference is down to video post processing not actual real life differences. Because you can flip between the on-off with complete continuity its clearly one video, not two videos merged.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And having now viewed the video - it's also not showing the view from any single one of the people who are posing a danger to the cyclist...

Presumably because when you get tboned you weren't in the headlight beam and therefore no amount of retro-reflective material will do any good.
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

How about this video from Wowow... "sorry I didn't see you". They claim in the video description that "You will be seen with the 3M Spoke Reflectors!"
I found it quite distasteful.
[youtube]6kyPoeMNLY0[/youtube]
beardy

Post by beardy »

Odd as it is a German advert and the bikes would have had to have a side reflector by law.

Normally this is that reflective bands that you get on tyres or spoke reflectors.

The ProViz jacket should get ASA on its case if it is only retro-reflective as it acts in the video as if it is an actual light source, I was thinking "wow what a jacket" until other peoples' posts made me realise it is only reflective and not what it appears to be in the advert.