Motorcycles using cycle designated parking

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ryan

Motorcycles using cycle designated parking

Post by Ryan »

Am i really the only one that thinks this is off?
Apparently so, noticed scooter wedged in next to my bike on what i had PRESUMED to be designated cycle parking, queried traffic warden who told me that those spaces are for "cycles" unicycles, exercise cycles, motorcycles any sort of cycle you care to mention, went around the corner to where the police just happened to be congregating to celebrate the "community" and the Police. Asked for a traffic cop, none present, the pc said "try me", answer was-"We don't/wont enforce that". I don't know but i think the police might want to think that one through, because if i cant get my bike out because some spotty teenager has decided that is where his scooter is going to go i can see some potential for a pretty violent break down of law and order, if that is what it is deemed to be.

Anyone know the law on this, i recall that as a motorcyclist, i would of not only thought that to park suchlike was a ***** game but i would have expected a ticket and or chastisement from law enforcement persons, that was London though, this is Boondocks. As a London motorcyclist in the 90s i am pretty certain i was obliged to park on the road, not on the pavement, end of story, never mind having a hard on for the cycle posts.
Last edited by Ryan on 12 Dec 2014, 6:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
snibgo

Re: Motorcycles using cycle designated parking

Post by snibgo »

Ryan wrote:Am i really the only one that thinks this is off?

Is if "off"? Yes. Is it illegal? That depends.

If the land was part of the highway, and there were no parking restrictions, then motorists can park where they want provided they don't cause an "unnecessary obstruction".
meic

Motorcycles using cycle designated parking when they're free

Post by meic »

I reckon that if you want a law enforced you first have to KNOW that a law has been broken.

As the authorities dont seem so sure, you should find chapter and verse in the regulations CERTAINLY before assaulting a minor just because you think so.

I manage to share the new cycle stands with the motorcyclists which is just as well as I am normally the only cyclist who leaves their bike there amongst many motorcycles. As it is very difficult to get cars prosecuted for parking on the pavement, I see little chance of getting motorcyclists prosecuted. Though my motorbike did get a ticket on the "pavement*" where there were double yellow lines on the road.

*actually the border of the war memorial.
Last edited by meic on 12 Dec 2014, 9:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's not like cyclists don't 'park' badly, randomly chained to street furniture and railings and often getting in the way.

I'll be honest and say on occasion I've parked outside work with my motorcycle stuffed into the sheffield stand but then I've never seen a bicycle in there! (If it were used by bikes and space was tight then I'd park elsewhere.)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Hi Ryan

Welcome to the forum. Please could you change your thread title with regard to forum conventions to avoid causing offence.
Many thanks.
Last edited by horizon on 12 Dec 2014, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

To even things up, when visiting Derby Royal Hospital I always park in the covered motorcycle shed rather than the exposed sheffield stands.
So what :?
gaz

Motorcycles using cycle designated parking when they're free

Post by gaz »

Horizon, et al.

Please could you change your post subject title with regard to forum conventions to avoid causing offence. :wink:

Many thanks.

Edit: I like meic's version :) .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
MikeF

Re: Motorcycles using cycle designated parking when they're

Post by MikeF »

meic wrote:I reckon that if you want a law enforced you first have to KNOW that a law has been broken.

As the authorities dont seem so sure, you should find chapter and verse in the regulations CERTAINLY before assaulting a minor just because you think so.

I manage to share the new cycle stands with the motorcyclists which is just as well as I am normally the only cyclist who leaves their bike there amongst many motorcycles. As it is very difficult to get cars prosecuted for parking on the pavement, I see little chance of getting motorcyclists prosecuted. Though my motorbike did get a ticket on the "pavement*" where there were double yellow lines on the road.

As the pavement is part of the highway double yellows mean there should be no parking on the highway - carriageway, pavement or verge - regardless of where the lines are. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/312242/the-highway-code-road-markings.pdf
However many motorists around here seem to regard parking on the pavement (footway) circumvents the double line restriction. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mercalia

Re: Motorcycles using cycle designated parking when they're

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:I reckon that if you want a law enforced you first have to KNOW that a law has been broken.

Hmm not in Lambeth. We get the local council tiny cars with cameras on enforcing that - even give you a ticket for parking on your own land next the pavement. So maybe op need to contact the appropriate council dept
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I remember trying to warn a motorcyclist with a very nice bike it might not be advisable to park his motorbike locked to the Huntingdon Sainsburys cycle parking area, mostly cos people would be more likely to scratch his bike. He seemed to take it as a threat from me!
It's tricky with motorbikes, you really do need something to anchor it to, my friends CBR was locked and alarmed in Cambridge at a m/c park but was presumably lifted into a van.
In St.Ives, Cambs we mostly have about 1-3 spaces taken up by done in cycles with advertising boards on them for local shops, God that's annoying.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I recently noticed a motor scooter parking in the cycle bays at Sainsbury's, as the motorcycle parking is about 25metres away and the cycle bays are generally packed even during winter I'm well pleased if I have to find another spot to leave my bike. So after it being parked in such a way that it was taking up two spaces I decided to photograph it and let customer services take care of it.
It seemed pretty clear it was a member of staffs' bike and so far I haven't seen it back.
I just think motorcyclists take the mick with their use of cycle lanes & parking not to mention their overly agressive riding in instances that have shown to be to everyone's detriment.

As for your comment Kwackers about inconsiderate cyclists locking their bikes up on railings etc, if there is no facility where the hell are we suppose to lock our bikes??
I offered a simple & inexpensive solution with regard cycle parking in Letchworth town centre before the million pound + redevelopment by the heritage Foundation (majority land owner in the town) and they simply ignored it.
The sooner all major chains and councils start putting up proper parking bays/stands for cyclists to leave their bikes the better.

With regard to Enforcement by the police, surely if someone is breaking the rules the police HAVE to act if told of the offence, how can they not, what absolves them from acting, what gives them the right to pick and choose what they act on.. :evil:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

snibgo wrote:
Ryan wrote:Am i really the only one that thinks this is off?

Is if "off"? Yes. Is it illegal? That depends.

If the land was part of the highway, and there were no parking restrictions, then motorists can park where they want provided they don't cause an "unnecessary obstruction".

Not around here!

We have a FedEx van regularly parks blocking the access. To a cycle track, but according to the Police the rad is a dead end and even though you cannot get a cycle through it cannot be an obstruction because itbis a dead end
PH

Post by PH »

Tonyf33 wrote:With regard to Enforcement by the police, surely if someone is breaking the rules the police HAVE to act if told of the offence, how can they not, what absolves them from acting, what gives them the right to pick and choose what they act on.. :evil:

It isn't a criminal offence, hasn't been for some time:
Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA) provides for the civil
enforcement
of most types of parking contraventions. It replaces Part II and
Schedule 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1991
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Tonyf33 wrote:As for your comment Kwackers about inconsiderate cyclists locking their bikes up on railings etc, if there is no facility where the hell are we suppose to lock our bikes??

Why does that apply to bicycles and not motorcycles? Surely you can see the irony of your statement?

Motorcycles are just as likely to be lifted if they're not fastened to something as bicycles. A typical motorcycle is worth several thousand once stripped into its component (and untraceable) parts, therefore any that aren't fastened to street furniture tend to have short lives.

IMO you can't complain about motorcycles using bicycle stands and then also claim it's OK to fasten a bicycle to any piece of handy street furniture (or private property) regardless of how inconsiderate it might be...
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Tonyf33 wrote:With regard to Enforcement by the police, surely if someone is breaking the rules the police HAVE to act if told of the offence, how can they not, what absolves them from acting, what gives them the right to pick and choose what they act on.. :evil:

If you can understand why investigation of one crime might have priority over another and that police resources are not sufficient to thoroughly investigate every crime committed in the country then you can answer your own question.