Tesco unicycle stands

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Tesco unicycle stands

Post by mjr »

PRL wrote:Aldi in Feltham have about a dozen proper Sheffield stands at an angle to the wall so there is space for your front wheel. If one supermarket can get it right ....

why can't they all? Because local council planning officers seem to be overstretched and/or incompetent about cycling, so they sign off any old junk.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Psamathe wrote:Yes, too short (my local Tesco has them as well). Would work better if installed the other way round (higher end away from the wall) and further out from the wall.

Ian

My local Tesco has them, been cursing them for years each time the bike fell over as I was loading the panniers... until I discovered they work much better if you reverse in when they work fine. Only works if the rack is reasonably empty otherwise access to panniers is difficult.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

cotswolds wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Yes, too short (my local Tesco has them as well). Would work better if installed the other way round (higher end away from the wall) and further out from the wall.

Ian

My local Tesco has them, been cursing them for years each time the bike fell over as I was loading the panniers... until I discovered they work much better if you reverse in when they work fine. Only works if the rack is reasonably empty otherwise access to panniers is difficult.

I would say that for any bike that is intended to carry any kind of load a propstand is essential - preferably a twin legged one or a single leg mounted at the rear axle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cotswolds wrote:My local Tesco has them, been cursing them for years each time the bike fell over as I was loading the panniers... until I discovered they work much better if you reverse in when they work fine. Only works if the rack is reasonably empty otherwise access to panniers is difficult.

The ones around here are so close to the wall that reversing in would leave the front wheel unsecured unless you have a realllllllly loooooooong cable.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.