Feeling guilty whilst not cycling & car use thru illness

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've not been on the bike since Saturday and as we speak I'm off out in the car to the supermarket :(

I've been rough as a badgers whatsit since last week and got worse, so far I've lost 5kg in 6 days, rattly chest, feeling cold all the time and gone right off food :shock: . I really wanted to go out on the bike to get some groceries and feel guilty using the car (it's less than 2 miles to the shops).
Should I just write it off as a one off or 'man the @#%$ up' as they say?
mjr

Re: Feeling guilty whilst not cycling & car use thru illness

Post by mjr »

Have you checked with some medic that it's not something to worry about?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Whenever I'm ill and off the bike I pile the weight on!
Last edited by Mark1978 on 10 Dec 2014, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

mjr wrote:Have you checked with some medic that it's not something to worry about?

I'm just more ill than usual, I have Crohn's so I know the symptoms of when that's giving me a kicking as well, just a very heavy chest thing that's hung around and tbh 5 kg isn't the end of the world, far from it. I could do with shifting another 8-10kg easily..lol

I don't go running to the docs for this type of thing, completely and utterly pointless but thnks anayways
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I am bit concerned that you might not really be in a fit state to drive either - in your situation I would consider on-line grocery shopping
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sound's like the lergy/manflu I had which started about four weeks ago,mine lasted two weeks and a further week not feeling 'right',two complete weeks off the bike then only short rides for about a week.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tonyf33 wrote:I don't go running to the docs for this type of thing, completely and utterly pointless but thnks anayways

Me neither but we've lots of things like online systems and dialling 111 now. A few times something I thought was minor has turned out to be worth treating... but you know what's normal for you.

Returning to the original question: if balance and breathing permit, I'd use the bike... but maybe not for shopping if I expect to have much to carry home.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

subjecting your body to stresses, such as cold and exercise, when its already struggling could slow your return to health. So taking the long view, you're doing the right thing!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Tony, I'd think back to all the riding you've done throughout the year and take the time to get better. The bike will always be there tomorrow
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was off the bike for 6 or 7 weeks last winter because I broke a rib.

I felt like a giant slug. And I missed the best winter cycling and skiing weather.

Don't fell guilty. It's hardly your fault.

Feel better soon & do what you can, when you can. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

DaveP wrote:subjecting your body to stresses, such as cold and exercise, when its already struggling could slow your return to health. So taking the long view, you're doing the right thing!

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Tony, I'd think back to all the riding you've done throughout the year and take the time to get better. The bike will always be there tomorrow

Yeah, that's what I was wanting to hear really, I hate caving in, more so when my CD is hassling me & I feel wiped out so it usually takes a lot to shift me off my perch.
I've now had first hot food in 4 days (home made burgers + some cheeky mini cheesecakes..BARP!), I just didn't even feel hungry at all and aside from the lurgy didn't feel THAT unwell, weird sensation as I'm normally hungry all the time (food doesn't usually hang around for long in my body :oops: )

Anyways, going to have a pootle tomorrow during the day and see how I feel.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Vorpal wrote:I was off the bike for 6 or 7 weeks last winter because I broke a rib.

I felt like a giant slug. And I missed the best winter cycling and skiing weather.

Don't fell guilty. It's hardly your fault.

Feel better soon & do what you can, when you can. 8)

6-7 weeks..oh my. I was in hosp for 40 days straight a fair few years back & didn't ride for about 3 months total, worst time of my life in every respect. That said I got offed about 9 years ago & fractured my elbow and various knocks, refused the ambulance to the hosp in a different county as the old bill were going to leave my bike by the side of the road so I cycled back the 12 miles to a friends with a sling on, part of the way back was a 45mph descent, luckily on a straightish dual carriageway that was quiet :D so even crashes don't/won't keep me off the bike.. :lol:
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Nah, anything chesty then you really shouldn't be doing anything too aerobic. I was always advised that doing so will take any infection deep into the lungs. That may be total bull' mind, but it's what I choose to believe.

Three or four years back I had what I thought was a bad cold. Looked on the NHS website which stated that if a cold was taking longer than three weeks to clear then a visit to the doctor was in order. Thing being was I looked OK, just didn't feel right. After the three weeks I went to the Doctors' where the doc looked at my ears (bit pink but nothing to worry about), throat - similar diagnosis, temp - ever so slightly up but no fever. I felt as though I was wasting her time. Anyhow, she listened to my chest and said that she was shocked that I'd managed to walk to the surgery - severe chest infection/pneumonia. Not quite bad enough to hospitalise me - but close. Anyway, she said that if you're ill, you need to rest. In my case, I was signed off work. In your case, take it easy. The bike will be still there when you're back to fitness.

I do know what you mean about having to use the car over the bike. I virtually always cycle into work. Tomorrow night I'm working at another site - it's only about ten miles away but it's an awful route, I've no idea if there's a cycle shed or showers, etc. I've decided to use the car instead but I'd much prefer to cycle.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The fat commuter wrote:Three or four years back I had what I thought was a bad cold. Looked on the NHS website which stated that if a cold was taking longer than three weeks to clear then a visit to the doctor was in order. Thing being was I looked OK, just didn't feel right. After the three weeks I went to the Doctors' where the doc looked at my ears (bit pink but nothing to worry about), throat - similar diagnosis, temp - ever so slightly up but no fever. I felt as though I was wasting her time. Anyhow, she listened to my chest and said that she was shocked that I'd managed to walk to the surgery - severe chest infection/pneumonia. Not quite bad enough to hospitalise me - but close. Anyway, she said that if you're ill, you need to rest. In my case, I was signed off work. In your case, take it easy. The bike will be still there when you're back to fitness.

Ah the old "cyclist" syndrome*, where doctors are confused by how limited your symptoms are given the extent of disease...
My GE is always surprised... (another Crohn's man, although he relabelled it indeterminate UC again last time)

Tony: If you're not up to riding to the shops, and back, then don't. It's not worth aggravating your immune system more than it already is...

*May apply to other active people as well
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If you are that ill then use the car, in fact i would suggest should you be going out and spreading your germs elsewhere??????
Can you shop online for once?
If you have to go out then use the car, you will mess up and delay your recovery.
Goodness i have had much longer spells off the bike due to either illness or injury..... except on some of those occasions i could not even use a vehicle (unable to drive due to limb breakages).
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells