Leicester Area Audax Riders

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Boerewors

Leicester Area Audax Riders

Post by Boerewors »

Looking for a bunch of audax riders to ride with over the weekends in Leicester area. Currently belong to a club but looking at a different endurance pace. Looking at extending my audax rides from the 100+ kms to the 200kms. Goal is to do the Scotland audax next year 1300km. Enjoy the full day outs and full weekend rides.
Paulatic

Re: Leicester Area Audax Riders

Post by Paulatic »

As I understand your description above then I feel your goal to ride 1300k next year is very ambitious. IMHO I would recommend at least a couple of S R Series under your belt before venturing out on a 1300.

In my own example I had my PBP entry form ready to post off after completing my 600. On finishing the ride with only an hour to spare I asked the question, "do I want to get back on the bike and ride another 600?" I didn't sent that entry form off. [emoji3]

I'm guessing you were inspired by the tv programme last night. That's not a bad thing but it will be a lot more enjoyable if you succeed rather than fail.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The TV programme is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04v5hhh/the-adventure-show-20142015-episode-5

One of the riders is wearing a Leicester Road Club jersey.................................
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have never ridden with 'Audax' riders except when i have ridden the events or been somewhere such as Birthday Rides where i was riding with other riders who just happened to ride audax as well as their usual club rides.
My CTC group had no one interested in riding Audax. I went off by myself to ride a late season 200 and following season an early 200, to get the feel of the events.
The next year i was ready and determined to qualify for PBP (and ride it). I rode a 200 in the spring and wondered how i would complete a 300. I completed a 300 and wondered how i would complete a 400. I completed a 400 and wondered how i would complete a 600..... you get the idea.
Qualified, entered and completed PBP.
As long as you are doing decent steady rides and build up some extra miles over the coming months you will be fine. Mostly it is in the head. You will have good spells and bad spells on the rides, you will ride thru the bad spells and it will be good again. Other riders around you will have good and bad spells probably not at the same as you.

For longer rides never think of the whole distance (you will though) try to think of it as ride to the next control, then to the next control......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

Agree with all of the above said. As been a newly registered member of the "The Long Distance Cycling Org" UK are there any members who are within my area which I could ride with. As riding 200km on a Saturday is a regular occurrence would just like to share these rides with the same passion and love of cycling. Would also like to attend more and more registered audax rides.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Firstly go and check out the Audax Calender.

Book in to all the nearby rides that you can fit into your calender and make sure you ride them.

If you are willing to drive then start with Mr Pickwick's Jan Sale from Tewkesbury. You may well meet other riders from Notts and Leic area there.

As an Audax member you can enter into "Permanents" and DIY Permanents" and "DIY by GPS Permanents" and "ECE". These are all ways for you to pay Audax UK money to ride your own bike, on your own, on the public highway. Why should you waste your money in this way? Well because it motivates you to do the riding and commits you to actually getting on your bike and riding (instead of killing the alarm clock and curling up in your nice warm bed rather than going out in the cold dark rain).

Finally you can go and read threads in the YACF forum where there is a sub-forum for Audax which is probably a better place for an Audax "lonely rider seeks company advert".
As is AUK's own Facebook group (I assume but not a Facebook person).
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There's an active Audax community on YACF (http://www.yacf.co.uk) including several of the people who featured in the documentary about the Scottish event linked to above. These include Marcus Jackson-Baker and the organiser of the event Mark Rigby. The only problem with YACF is that almost everyone seems to have a wierd, obscure username, so you don't necessarily know who you are talking to, and they also seem to all know each other, so it can appear a bit cliquey to an outsider. There's also a forum on the AUK site and the AUK Facebook page is quite active.
Last edited by TrevA on 11 Dec 2014, 8:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

YACF are definitely more audax orientated. I've been active there but not since they disabled using hovercraft full of eels..
I joined one of their organised rides. Firstly because I was wanting to go that direction and secondly was interested in who I meet on it.
My observations were they were lost when Garmin plays up, their choice of cafe wasn't traditional. They were all very interesting and I did enjoy the ride, it was tough at times and I would do it again.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My observations were they were lost when Garmin plays up

Certainly some audax riders love techonlogy but the wise ones also carry the paper route sheet and a map as a back up. Others use just the route sheet with a back up map.
PH

Post by PH »

The ECE (Extend Calendar Events) that beardy mentions are a great way to up the mileage and not ride entirely on your own
http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/

The ones run from Alfreton might be good to extend from Leicester
http://www.alfretonctc.netii.net/audax.htm

The problem with trying to find someone to ride with is it has to be someone riding at a similar pace to you, with the same way of riding the event. Even on calendar events with a lot of riders it's not uncommon to see some of them riding alone.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Paulatic wrote:YACF are definitely more audax orientated. I've been active there but not since they disabled using hovercraft full of eels..
I joined one of their organised rides. Firstly because I was wanting to go that direction and secondly was interested in who I meet on it.
My observations were they were lost when Garmin plays up, their choice of cafe wasn't traditional. They were all very interesting and I did enjoy the ride, it was tough at times and I would do it again.

I am sure that I would be too.

However in over a decade of riding cycles and before that motorcycles with Etrex GPSs it hasnt happened yet but do I get thanked frequently by non-GPS users on Audaxes for steering them around the course. :wink:
I wish everything in life was as reliable as my Etrex.
pau1ine

Post by pau1ine »

Grandad wrote:The TV programme is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04v5hhh/the-adventure-show-20142015-episode-5

One of the riders is wearing a Leicester Road Club jersey.................................

Thanks for posting this. What a lovely inspirational programme!
Personally, this distances and sleep deprivation are not my thing, but I've toured a lot in Scotland and recognise many parts.
Perfect winter's evening fantasy cycling.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

I'm based in North Leics and have just started on Audaxes. I would probably be a bit slow for you though. I average 12 mph and a 200 would be 40 miles further than I have ever ridden. As a suggestion how about contacting one of the Leics CTC groups
Boerewors

Post by Boerewors »

Have checked but as far as I understand they only go out during the week. Unfortunately I work. As I am only 45 young still have a way to go. The feeling I get it seems the whole audax thing is more for the older generation as I am unable to find people of my age within my area. Never thought it would be so difficult to find a few people who would like to get on a bike and ride for 150/200 km on a Saturday or Sunday using GPS or map work enjoying the scenery stopping at coffee shops at around average 15 or so mph.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you are working, you usually have stuff to do (other than riding your bike) at weekends, so can't afford the time to do 120 mile bike rides which take around 10 hours including stops.

Most club rides are of that pace but are usually only around 80-100km. You could ride with a club but extend the ride afterwards. Certainly Notts CTC groups typically do 80-100 miles on a Sunday in summer, less in winter, but probably at a lower average speed than you are looking for.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com