If money was not an issue...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MartinC

Re: If money was not an issue...

Post by MartinC »

BigFoz wrote:...................Oh, and Delta brakes. The Deltas on my current nice weather bike are simply fantastic.

:D Ah, but you and I are clearly wrong because the current received wisdom is that Delta brakes are poor. Our knowledge is based purely on using them. But I digress............
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Godlykepower wrote:Okay, I'm seeing that people around here like trikes and Moultons!

The trikes thing I can kind of see...they look fun, but Moultons? Someone is going to have to point out what I'm missing...they are ugly and look ridiculous and are so expensive. What's going on there then?

I'm finding myself in the other camp... Had a trike, and now I don't. Now fancy a Moulton stainless space-framey thingy (if money was no object of course), but with 26" wheels... Yeah yeah, I know, it'd defeat the whole concept, but 20" look wrong to me. Being custom would put it beyond the current top price of... £15,500. (Holey moley that is absolutely absurd, but there you go, says something about with fools with their money, conspicuous consumption, ego, fashion, so on, so forth).
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

Godlykepower wrote:The trikes thing I can kind of see...they look fun, but Moultons? Someone is going to have to point out what I'm missing...they are ugly and look ridiculous and are so expensive. What's going on there then?

If you don't get it, that's fine. Carry on. No-one is making you have one. :roll:

But Alex Moulton developed the small wheeled bicycle in the late 50's because he saw problems with using the Victorian safety bicycle (he had a Hitchins) and discovered he could improve ride comfort, high performance, convenience and practicality in use by using a 'step through' frame with suspension, allied to small wheels with high pressure tyres to give comfort and load carrying ability.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think I'd have to spend the money on a bigger garage to keep all these wretched (n+1)+1+1+1+1.....'s in!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

mrjemm wrote:I'm finding myself in the other camp... Had a trike, and now I don't. Now fancy a Moulton stainless space-framey thingy (if money was no object of course), but with 26" wheels... Yeah yeah, I know, it'd defeat the whole concept, but 20" look wrong to me. Being custom would put it beyond the current top price of... £15,500. (Holey moley that is absolutely absurd, but there you go, says something about with fools with their money, conspicuous consumption, ego, fashion, so on, so forth).

26" wheels? :shock: You clearly don't get it (and the factory would not build you one!)

The New Series Double Pylon was a lot cheaper (£6000!) when it was launched but demand exceeded the capabilities of the factory to supply (it takes the best part of 2 weeks to make the frame!) so they raised the price until demand dropped and so you now only have to wait 9 months or so to get one. It almost certainly is not 'worth' what they are asking for it (especially as the 'plain' New Series is almost half the price) but who is to deny wealthy Asian enthusiasts their toys? The vast majority are exported to China, Japan, Taiwan and Thailand where they are highly treasured. Even the Prime Minister promoted them on a visit to China last year...

mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

The Emporer's new wardrobe is made of Ivory this season...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thermostat9 wrote:
The New Series Double Pylon was a lot cheaper (£6000!) when it was launched but demand exceeded the capabilities of the factory to supply (it takes the best part of 2 weeks to make the frame!) so they raised the price until demand dropped and so you now only have to wait 9 months or so to get one.

...genuinely ignorant, (other than v-a-v the Moulton concept, spaceframe construction etc).
Why is it so special about these, in particular?
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

Bonefishblues wrote:...genuinely ignorant, (other than v-a-v the Moulton concept, spaceframe construction etc).
Why is it so special about these, in particular?

The Double Pylon? An intricate 'pylon' seat post and head tube.

When the Italian bicycle designer Alessandro Belli heard that Alex had died, he described him thus:

“Maestro Alex Moulton,poet of steel forms.”

Anyone who has ever gazed in wonder on a shining stainless steel spaceframe Moulton will know exactly what he means.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ah, obvious thing is obvious now you make me look at it.

They seem a bit coy about what exactly their "stainless steel" tubing is - any idea?
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

Bonefishblues wrote:They seem a bit coy about what exactly their "stainless steel" tubing is - any idea?

No idea. Why would it matter?

(A quick Google suggests Reynolds 953)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Thermostat9 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:They seem a bit coy about what exactly their "stainless steel" tubing is - any idea?

No idea. Why would it matter?

(A quick Google suggests Reynolds 953)

Nothing beyond an interest on my part and the failure to name it when looking at the spec of the bikes "aerospace grade" was the term. Just found it slightly at odds with their tech-heavy emphasis, that's all.

(After all, it's arguably the pinnacle of steel tubing, hard enough to weld on a regular frame never mind one with a load of holes in it, so were it me I'd be crowing from the rooftops (and mixing my metaphors :wink: ) about it).
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bonefishblues wrote:After all, it's arguably the pinnacle of steel tubing, hard enough to weld on a regular frame....
Weld!!!! :roll:'Braze' is the word you were looking for :wink:
"42"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I am deeply ashamed, as you can imagine, at my brazen attempt to misrepresent the process used. Still, I'll solder on. :oops:
Pompey Monkey

Post by Pompey Monkey »

I'd be able to get my knees fixed! :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thermostat9 wrote:When the Italian bicycle designer Alessandro Belli heard that Alex had died, he described him thus:

“Maestro Alex Moulton,poet of steel forms.”

Anyone who has ever gazed in wonder on a shining stainless steel spaceframe Moulton will know exactly what he means.

One man's meat and all that,I can appreciate the intricacy and workmanship but 'poet of steel forms'?
It isn't doing it for me.
FWIW it would have to have some serious cycling advantages for me,to warrant the price tag and it's(as I see it)ugliness.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden