If money was not an issue...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Godlykepower

If money was not an issue...

Post by Godlykepower »

....and you could have any bike and/or frameset, you desire, what would you go for and why?

I fancy treating myself to something special and was thinking of having a Pretorius frame made.

What other bikes and frames do people drool over?
I don't have a gambling problem. I'm winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That's like saying AC/DC have an awesomeness problem.
Tigerbiten

Re: If money was not an issue...

Post by Tigerbiten »

A Flevobike Orca with electric assist.
It would only set me back around £11k with all the upgrades ...... :shock:
Being disabled I cannot ride a two wheeled bike and my knees are going.
Plus I've always wanted a velomobile.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I drool at a lot of the artisan-made frames - the attention to detail is often wonderful. But if money was no object I'd still stick with the bike I have. I've had a Mercian since I was a teenager, so I have an emotional attachment to the company that money couldn't buy. I love that it's made by a small traditional no-nonsense business keeping a handful of frame builders employed working in a shed. I love that the shop is a bit naff and not a boutique. I love that I'm not afraid to ride the bike in any weather, to wheel it across bogs and fields and through woodland, that I don't feel stupid riding it wearing wellington boots and a heavy winter coat. I love that it's as happy carrying the groceries home as it is climbing up into the fells for a big day long journey and that it has a name so that I can talk to it when I'm becoming delirious.

So for me money isn't an issue. I have my dream bike and it's a good friend.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

If money was no object I'd have different bikes for different tasks pretty much as I do now.
I think some bikes can shout trying too hard, a friend of a friend brought his 70s Bianchi over, he'd spent over £2k getting it resprayed and buying Campag Record bits, mint chromework was nice enough & a very nice bike overall but tbh it didn't excite me.
My main bike is pretty much spot on for what i use it for and it'll do a bit of everything from 50mph on an alpine descent, loaded touring, utility trips, commuting, audax to light offroad. it's rugged, fast, reliable & lightweight yet it cost me £250 as a 50 mile used bike, there's not much out there to match it for flexibility of use & strength/comfort.

That said I'd quite like a Parlee Z Zero, not the lightest CF bike but a stunner IMO and ultimately can be built to spec, no need for a stupidly long stem or seatpost and a nice fairly traditional design of frame without ugly oversized bottom bracket and headtube/top tube intersection.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

....then I would have the nerve to enter my local bikeshop without laughing too hard at the prices. Judging by turnover there, there are many who spend as if money is not an issue. The same money for a bike as a new car? No problem, Sir. Don't forget the multiple sets of carbon wheels (deep rimmed and shallow according to the wind) and the matching mountain bike. And the $400 shoes (wot, no leather?) and the Rapha clothing, of course. How much????
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

I'd get myself a really slick road machine, something along the lines of...

- Custom titanium frame with full carbon fork
- Disc brakes
- Dura Ace Di2 groupset
- Deep section full carbon wheels

:)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just one?
Duo Quest with some serious e-assist.

After all if money is no object then I can either get the prototype or convince them to start production ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Thorn Nomad S&S in green. Please.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

b1ke wrote:Thorn Nomad S&S in green. Please.

You could have my S&S then... Was about to say my bike without the S&S, and perhaps nice normal rear ends intead of the silly alternator dropouts that my Salsa Vaya Travel has. But fitted with Rohloff. And brazed with brass (?) like the Soma Triple Cross.

In other words, a custom stainless travel bike, designed with a little bit of input from me but by an American probably, and built over there also, as they seem to have the most interesting bikes these days, and some amazing builders, though the Taiwanese sub-contractors are rather highly skilled too. No fancy lugs or twee bits though, and some serious innovation regarding security. No carbon. Disc brakes, but perhaps V-mounts for emergencies.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It's not 10 feet from me on the other side of the room, looking a little scruffy and dirty, with a few mismatched parts and pointing at the door begging to be taken out for a ride.
Soon as my glucose levels are up, I'll oblige :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'd probably take the route that Rob Penn did and go and see Brian Rourke for something made to measure in 953 flavour that made me feel a better cyclist than I am. Nice and understated, nothing shouty and flash, not making any promises that I can't keep :)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ice Trike 26x with 2 dyno hubs and lights mounted on both front mudguards,2 bar bag mounts and 2 rear dynamo lights.

Bianchi Infinito CV with full super record, campag wheels and campag pedals.

Thorn mercury setup as a heavy disc braked tourer.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'd probably take the route that Rob Penn did and go and see Brian Rourke for something made to measure in 953 flavour that made me feel a better cyclist than I am. Nice and understated, nothing shouty and flash, not making any promises that I can't keep :)

Yes definitely agree even though I own a Roberts.
Should also mentioned that I emailed Rob several times and he has always had the courtesy to reply. Clearly a nice man.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

As serious road machine.... like the DF velomobile 8)
"42"
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)