Bring back PIF during peak viewing hours?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Bring back PIF during peak viewing hours?

Post by Tonyf33 »

Just reading another tale of woe and came across this
States the obvious but jeez if only we had stuff like this on our screens to get the message across! Any others you think would help the cagers get the message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZIzggrbzM
GrumpyGit

Re: Bring back PIF during peak viewing hours?

Post by GrumpyGit »

Nice reminder, I'm ancient enough to remember this one from the first time round.

The situation is much worse these days, too many distractions like mobile phones and modern cars are too easy to drive. {FFE - family-friendly edit } they're even building cars that park themselves!

There's also an attitude problem, too many people treat driving as something you do while you're doing something else such as: updating Facebook, sending a text, reading the newspaper, eating a big mac, putting on makeup, shaving, I could go on and I've witnessed it all.

It's not just blokes shaving their beards either, this "lady" in Florida was shaving her downstairs bits!

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/cops-woman ... d=10065885
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Modern versions exist in more civilized countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9d-c-M7D0

Although hi-viz and polystyrene hats feature heavily.

Do the Dutch do PIFs?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I remember one from the fifties featuring Reg Harris.
He stopped a young lad who was wobbling about riding a bike with the saddle set too high.
Adjusted the saddle height for him and sent him on his way. No H***** or Hi viz in sight of course.
I suppose it could be updated with Chris Hoy perhaps.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

The current government cut PIFs as soon as they got in, even scrapping ones that had already been made but were waiting to be released.
It seemed like a vindictive act to me, as they never got much spent on them at the best of times. I have no idea why they did it.

A PIF telling drivers that cyclists are now supposed to be positioned much further out than used to be the case, like in the centre of carriageways etc. would be useful, as few drivers know this and a lot of them get very aggressive about it. I gather from a friend that it gets covered and explained in speed courses, which is a good thing. But a PIF would help a lot.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

AFAIK, using 'PIF' IJAIATSTWTSAEEE.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Flinders wrote:The current government cut PIFs as soon as they got in, even scrapping ones that had already been made but were waiting to be released.
It seemed like a vindictive act to me, as they never got much spent on them at the best of times. I have no idea why they did it.

A PIF telling drivers that cyclists are now supposed to be positioned much further out than used to be the case, like in the centre of carriageways etc. would be useful, as few drivers know this and a lot of them get very aggressive about it. I gather from a friend that it gets covered and explained in speed courses, which is a good thing. But a PIF would help a lot.

Last year when visiting the folks in Hull I did hear a public info broadcast repeated on the local radio station (it was either the commercial Viking FM or BBC Radio Humberside), it was exactly that saying cyclists are advised to ride centrally in their lane etc. If they had it on every BBC radio station say during rush hour times I think it would make a difference. Afterall the BBC seem committed to elf and safety with their pro stance on hi-vis & helmets :roll:
oldstrath

Post by oldstrath »

Flinders wrote:The current government cut PIFs as soon as they got in, even scrapping ones that had already been made but were waiting to be released.

Could be dealt with much better, along with much else, by retests at 5 year intervals
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
oldstrath

Post by oldstrath »

Mick F wrote:What about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlGmiHKCDI4

Tainted source. Until they run a campaign telling drivers to get out of their cars, and demand proper punishment for bad, stupid or dangerous driving, they simply remain part of the car-loving establishment. Marginally less offensive than the idiot Clarkson, but just as dangerous.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Mick F wrote:What about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlGmiHKCDI4

That was very carefully filmed. :mrgreen:
OTOH, I spend so much time looking closely at naked bodies s part of my job I doubt I'd notice it any more than a clothed person. Someone 'flashed' at me on the tube in Paris whilst right in front of me and I didn't even notice. Poor chap, it must have been embarrassing for him. Context is everything......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Context is everything!

Yonks ago one summer, me and Mrs Mick F went down to a naturist beach not far from St Austell. We sat on the beach with other folk in the nuddy. There was a little shop on the beach where you could buy coffee and cold drinks and stuff, and we called in there wearing nowt. :shock: Actually, Mrs Mick F had a handbag over her shoulder. :lol:

The young lady behind the counter - perhaps 20? - was fully clothed, and never batted an eyelid at us, or at any other visitors to her shop.

Context is everything.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Mick F wrote:Yes.
Context is everything!

Yonks ago one summer, me and Mrs Mick F went down to a naturist beach not far from St Austell. We sat on the beach with other folk in the nuddy. There was a little shop on the beach where you could buy coffee and cold drinks and stuff, and we called in there wearing nowt. :shock: Actually, Mrs Mick F had a handbag over her shoulder. :lol:

The young lady behind the counter - perhaps 20? - was fully clothed, and never batted an eyelid at us, or at any other visitors to her shop.

Context is everything.

Yet not that long back the police kept arresting that chap for going about his everyday business naked, on what basis? How is walking about naked any more offensive to those whom wear clothing to cover up most of their body as part of their beliefs or indeed either sex for dressing 'provocatively'. If you don't like something visually, don't look.
Such a shame that the vast majority of people are outraged at things that are stirred up by misconceptions and the media to be a problem when they clearly aren't and this indeed is part of the problem with regard to cycling. Cycling legitimately on the road safely somehow isn't accepted by the majority of motorists as being 'normal'.
Maybe we should cycle naked (sans helmets) a bit more often!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I've never been able to understand why people make such a fuss about other people not wearing clothes.
It isn't like we don't know what humans look like without them, we all know what we (and in some cases our closest friends) look like without clothes, art galleries are full of nudes, and so are films, newspapers and magazines. Many people working in healthcare(which is a huge number of people) see unclothed humans every day, as do people in other jobs.

People are very strange about it.

It's all part of life's rich pattern, I suppose. :roll:
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Yet not that long back the police kept arresting that chap for going about his everyday business naked, on what basis? How is walking about naked any more offensive to those whom wear clothing to cover up most of their body as part of their beliefs or indeed either sex for dressing 'provocatively'. If you don't like something visually, don't look.
Such a shame that the vast majority of people are outraged at things that are stirred up by misconceptions and the media to be a problem when they clearly aren't and this indeed is part of the problem with regard to cycling. Cycling legitimately on the road safely somehow isn't accepted by the majority of motorists as being 'normal'.
Maybe we should cycle naked (sans helmets) a bit more often!

I think that was just the Scottish Rozzers, not the ones down here.

Perhaps people who can stand the climate without long Johns are seen as a threat.

Ferdinand