National Rt 24 Wellow-Midford Alternative Route via Twinhoe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

National Rt 24 Wellow-Midford Alternative Route via Twinhoe

Post by Heltor Chasca »

This is a cracking route from Radstock into Bath via Wellow, Midford and the 2 Tunnels.

HOWEVER: On certain occasions the landowner of the permissive path between Wellow and Midford shuts it mainly for the purpose of the local shoot. (Incidentally it has recently been resurfaced which is great so I'm keen to see the results)

No problem with any of that. But does anyone know how I can find out in advance when the alternative route via Twinhoe Lane which is VERY hilly is in force?

Many thanks....................hc
gaz

Re: National Rt 24 Wellow-Midford Alternative Route via Twin

Post by gaz »

If that section is part of the Collier's Way it has its own website with a contact details page.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

See the Two Tunnels website www.twotunnels.org.uk

It is currently listing:

Nov 29, Dec 13, Dec 27, Jan 10, Jan 17, Jan 24

The route via Twinhoe is lovely, very quiet with some great views, but the hills are steep.

I haven't yet had a chance to ride the path to Wellow since it was resurfaced, would be interested to hear if anyone on here has.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Genius! Thanks Jon & Gaz. So I make that roughly every 2 weeks. I'll do Frome tomorrow and Bath next week and report back on the resurfacing. I've done the Twinhoe route a few times and it is a beauty. I do it faster than the horses in the area given a couple of biscuits...hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

All plumbed into my Google Calendar. Shall I offer to post each of these days into the forum as a timeous heads up for our forum participants?...hc
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Jon Lucas wrote: I haven't yet had a chance to ride the path to Wellow since it was resurfaced, would be interested to hear if anyone on here has.

I rode to Saltford via Wellow, Midford, the 2 tunnels and Bath today. A nice 36 miler.

It was the first time I've tried the Wellow-Midford section since it has been resurfaced. I was pretty impressed with the solid, fine scalping surface. It sure beats the mud and all the deep, wet potholes that used to be there. Some bits are a little rough but I wasn't complaining on my 1.75s!

Happy days...hc