Incident this morning - City of London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
WoFabian

Incident this morning - City of London

Post by WoFabian »

Hello All!

First time poster and I'm hoping for some advice regarding an incident this morning.

I was on my daily cycle commute through the City of London when I was struck by the 'back' of a private coach whilst it was turning left from Fenchurch Street into Gracechurch Street. I was stationary at the time in the right hand lane waiting for a red to change allowing me to go straight ahead into lombard street. I often see private couches taking this route (turning left into Gracechurch Street) so I purposely position myself to the right of the right hand lane allowing coaches to pass, which has not been a problem in the past.

See pic here http://i.imgur.com/v1sO5un.jpg As you can see, the lanes are narrow, and the coach used both lanes when turning.

I was not knocked off my bike but it was a hefty shunt that has left some discomfort to my shoulder blade.

I caught up with the driver and explained what happened, I was was polite, not rude and did not swear and the driver was polite enough too. The driver said they saw me but didn't realise they struck me. The driver then told me I should move out of the way if I see a coach coming from behind. At this point I felt like the driver was trying to blame me & I'm sure I was not at fault.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, should I report the incident to the police? contact the coach company? or do nothing.

Any advice would be great.

I appreciate your help!

TIA
reohn2

Re: Incident this morning - City of London

Post by reohn2 »

Injury=report to police explaining the accident and ask for an incident number so that it's registered if your injury gets worse.
I'd also contact the coach company explaining that you've reported it to the police.

If your shoulder is giving you pain and going worse go to A&E or doctors of course.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bertbeerpot

Post by bertbeerpot »

The drivers statement is outrageous. He shouldn't be driving any kind of vehicle if he really believes that it's ok to hit somebody who doesn't get out of his way.
edit: typo
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Well he drove off from the scene of an accident. Criminal Offence just for that. Looking at the photo I am sure that there should be video footage showing the incident.

Best advice I can give for the future, is get yourself a helmet camera and maybe a rear one two. If you have head then this is your evidence and will make it so much easier to put your side of the story, and no more of your word against theirs.

Maybe contact CTC solicitors too.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I dont think that a low speed touching counts as any sort of offence. Rather like if cars touch mirrors while passing each other carefully.

I remember once being enraged because a driver drove into me when I didnt get out of his way on a narrow lane but as there was no damage done, there wasnt anything that I could (legally) do about it.
The Police will not do anything when there is damage (that is a civil case), so without any damage no hope.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

An injury IS damage. Get well soon, I'm amazed there aren't more accidents involving the outswinging back ends of long vehicles.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Discomfort to a shoulder shows no signs and has no lasting effect.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

beardy wrote:I dont think that a low speed touching counts as any sort of offence. Rather like if cars touch mirrors while passing each other carefully.

I remember once being enraged because a driver drove into me when I didnt get out of his way on a narrow lane but as there was no damage done, there wasnt anything that I could (legally) do about it.
The Police will not do anything when there is damage (that is a civil case), so without any damage no hope.

The OP was injured. That is an injury accident that the driver should have stopped for or reported to police. It's not like car mirrors touching whilst passing carefully.

IMO, the OP should go to the GP or A&E to document the injury, even if it isn't extremely painful now.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

I suspect that his injury will not be taken seriously and be dismissed as not being a real injury.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

My current car, like many others, has its wheels almost at the corners of the vehicle, so there is almost no "tail swing". Perhaps the coach driver doesn't realise his vehicle has such a wide swing.

"The driver then told me I should move out of the way if I see a coach coming from behind." I agree that this is outrageous. I would be almost inclined to report him on the basis of this comment alone. It is his job to ensure his vehicle doesn't hit other road users.

Having said that, a wise cyclist is aware of the peculiarities of large vehicles, and the wide swing when turning sharply, and the incompetence of some drivers. This doesn't make the collision your fault.

Would I bother reporting it to the police? If it was just a slight bruise, I wouldn't bother. Yes, it should be reported. The driver should report it. But the police won't prosecute. At most, they will check that he is licensed and insured and so on. Big deal.
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Vorpal wrote:
beardy wrote:I dont think that a low speed touching counts as any sort of offence. Rather like if cars touch mirrors while passing each other carefully.

The OP was injured. That is an injury accident that the driver should have stopped for or reported to police. It's not like car mirrors touching whilst passing carefully.

IMO, the OP should go to the GP or A&E to document the injury, even if it isn't extremely painful now.

I had an injury to my shoulder when I got knocked off. No lasting damage but got nearly £2000.
bryce

Post by bryce »

I'd report it to the Met and the CTC web site. You could also report it to the coach company. It depends on what you want to achieve by reporting. By reporting to the Met and the CTC web site hopefully it'll be of value to people trying make the roads safer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd report that comment to the police, and the coach company.

Noting that you already positioned yourself at the far right of the road to give him as much room as you could.
Noting also that you don't actually have eyes in the back of your head (or wing mirrors?) or a teleportation device to allow you to simply disappear across a busy/traffic light controlled junction.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

snibgo wrote:Perhaps the coach driver doesn't realise his vehicle has such a wide swing.
I think you'll find all coach drivers should know about the back "swing" on turns, as should drivers of lorries.
The coach driver caused the collision. A stationary vehicle cannot collide with, ie hit, anything by definition. :wink: Is the OP a member of the CTC? If so contact their legal section.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

WoFabian wrote: I purposely position myself to the right of the right hand lane allowing coaches to pass,
The driver then told me I should move out of the way if I see a coach coming from behind.

It sounds like the problem was that you were doing exactly what the coach driver told you you ought to be doing. By positioning yourself to the edge of the lane you are effectively inviting drivers to overtake.

Note. I am not suggesting that you are in any way to blame for this - the coach driver needed to use both lanes to complete his manouevre so should not have attemped to overtake a vehicle occupying one of those lanes. Just that by taking a central position in the lane (ie making sure that you are in the way) you can make it more obvious that the lane is occupied.