Tanker lorry, spot on driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Tanker lorry, spot on driving

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Just one point,if I have to stop and take note of every professional driver that shows me courtesy and then phone their company to commend all those drivers I'd, a)never get anywhere when I went for a ride,and b)I'd never be off the phone!

Maybe just the exceptional ones e.g. the one that prompted you to start this thread. I just remember the company name and do an internet search when I get home and e-mail.

I assume that notable driving does not happen many times each ride (as I've not seen many threads like this). Even if you miss 3 good ones and just do one occasionally it would help, word would get round, managers at the company will be pleased (people love getting praise) and driver will "like" cyclists and other drivers will probably think a bit more ...

Ian

I take the point of praising people reaps rewards but it would need something really exceptional for me to want stop note the reg and then make contact with the company,to say thanks.
I maybe a lesser person for this,but I like to get on with my life,and think a thumbs up to the driver at the time is all that's needed.

I don't bother with the reg no (I have remembered part of one once). I just say vehicle driving through <location> around <time>. Transport managers tend to know (or can easily find out) who was where when. Or if they are uncertain they will probably offer praise to "whoever was <location> <time>" and let the real driver come forward. The only organisation I've come across who have ignored such a comment was the County Council Highways Dept.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:I don't bother with the reg no (I have remembered part of one once). I just say vehicle driving through <location> around <time>. Transport managers tend to know (or can easily find out) who was where when. Or if they are uncertain they will probably offer praise to "whoever was <location> <time>" and let the real driver come forward. The only organisation I've come across who have ignored such a comment was the County Council Highways Dept.

Ian

I take your point but as I posted:-
...a thumbs up to the driver at the time is all that's needed.

And giving the individual the thanks is better than feeding it into a faceless machine :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
albal1

Post by albal1 »

I drive HGV and have been for tooo lonngg. Currently freelancing. Nice to read your comments most being HGV positive!
I would say any transport manager would welcome praises for their drivers. Since Sept 2014 we have to hold a DCPC card, from 7.5 ton and above(Driver cert of professional competance) which is paid for by the driver and 'worked ' to pay it off so to speak and costs around £450. Has to be renewed after 5 years.This should eek out the idiots who drive trucks, and I may get more work!
I get lot of stick from fellow drivers where I am now who say 'why don't they use the cycle path/pavement?' near to Bmth Airport. It is not safe to pass as the road is narrow.

For the OP I would guess the tanker lorry was 'freighted'. Meaning it may take a while to reach a suitable speed to pass,did the correct thing and hang back.Re; deadlines, I don't give a toss about them & I know few feel the same. Does that give you the right to drive dangerously? NO.

BTW what happened to MSM when passing cyclists?parked cars,etc It seems to have dissappeared. I still do it causing the oncoming traffic to move over. :D
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Agree with OP, yes, it is a good idea to contact 'head office'. Fine obviously to wave/thumbs up etc but, good to have something on record, as most comments negative, so balances the perception. Emailed local firm a while ago to compliment driver, finished with 'bet you don't get many if these?' Reply was 'never, many thanks and driver would be told'. Bit of positive feedback can do a disproportionate amount of good.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

albal1 wrote:I drive HGV and have been for tooo lonngg. Currently freelancing. Nice to read your comments most being HGV positive!
I would say any transport manager would welcome praises for their drivers. Since Sept 2014 we have to hold a DCPC card, from 7.5 ton and above(Driver cert of professional competance) which is paid for by the driver and 'worked ' to pay it off so to speak and costs around £450. Has to be renewed after 5 years.This should eek out the idiots who drive trucks, and I may get more work!
I get lot of stick from fellow drivers where I am now who say 'why don't they use the cycle path/pavement?' near to Bmth Airport. It is not safe to pass as the road is narrow.

For the OP I would guess the tanker lorry was 'freighted'. Meaning it may take a while to reach a suitable speed to pass,did the correct thing and hang back.Re; deadlines, I don't give a toss about them & I know few feel the same. Does that give you the right to drive dangerously? NO.

BTW what happened to MSM when passing cyclists?parked cars,etc It seems to have dissappeared. I still do it causing the oncoming traffic to move over. :D

Well the indication is that you're overtaking, (not passing) which is the actual manoeuvre, the problem is that they don't bother teaching it at learner level. :x
The only reason not to signal is if there is no-one to signal to or that the signal will not help anyone and in terms of most town/ciy environments not feasible (though still very useful when practical) and your vehicle position coming up behind a cyclist should be a clear indication of what you're about to do...or it should to an average driver.

I try to recognise situations where I know it's going to be difficult for a larger vehicle to overtake or get past especially in urban environments, IF I can pull over to the side and it's no big deal for me & wave them past then I will (I won't always as that's not how it works). I realise that they have a job to do, I realise that being behind me I cannot predict what they might do (a dodgy pass at just the wrong point) and indeed that snarling up traffic a small amount whilst an HGV waits patiently has other effects further up the system.
Yes that's the whole reason we want more people on bikes but in the iterim why can't I as a cyclist take a pro-active stance to keep things moving for not a great deal of hassle for me. I'm taking the high moral high ground AND hopefully it benefits another cyclist the next time an HGV wants to overtake.
Si

Post by Si »

There was another group of lorry drivers in at work on Saturday.....again, it's interesting how attitudes change. At the start it was very much a case of them saying that they were careful around cyclists but that cyclists were annoying and often did strange things. By the end, after some of them had been taken out on a bike in traffic for the first time in their lives, their attitudes to why cyclists ride like they do had changed a fair bit......with a bit more "ah, it all makes sense now". Andsome had redefined what they thought 'careful' was.

Likewise, when another organisation I work for have put cyclists into HGVs they have come out with a bit more sympathy for what driving such a vehicle in the urban environment is like.

But daily I have to stop myself shouting "Don't go up there" just like the guy that makes the Silly Cyclist videos.