Using cycle paths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bicycler

Re: Using cycle paths

Post by Bicycler »

Problem is that a barrier or gate could be anything and not necessarily something you can't get your bike through. Unfortunately it's really a suck it and see kind of thing.

In theory Openstreetmap based cycle maps should be ideal for this but again they will only show barrier locations rather than types and whether you can get your trailer or tandem through. People outside the UK wouldn't see a point in having a tag for cycle infrastructure you can't get tandems or trailers through. Because of the nature of OSM not all barriers will have been added yet.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:
Vorpal wrote:... Sustrans are probably the best sources of information. They do mark barriers on some paths. ...

I wasn't sure so I just checked the barrier at Shornemead Crossing above....
The barrier's location is marked with a little yellow dot and is referred to as an "access point". The same yellow dot is also applied to toucan crossings and sites where the NCN leaves a road to follow a path without any barrier at all. Sustrans mapping is clearly not a suitable way to find out about any barriers on the path.

In the specific case above the reference to Queens Farm Road is particularly misleading as the level crossing was closed some years ago. Access to the NCN from Queens Farm Road is impossible. I've reported it.

No, Sustrans mapping is not ideal. But neither is any other method, other than just avoiding cycle paths.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Bicycler wrote:People outside the UK wouldn't see a point in having a tag for cycle infrastructure you can't get tandems or trailers through.

Not sure about that. One of the most difficult barriers I've had to negotiate with a tandem was on a cycle path south of Dinan, near Saint Malo.

I'm coming late to this thread so may of missed something, but does anyone know the penalty for riding a motorbike on a cycle path? I know for a restricted byway, the penalty is seizure of vehicle, £150 + £20/day storage costs, plus your own taxi fare home if you're left stranded somewhere remote (the police don't have to take you home). I don't think this applies to motorbikes on cycle paths, but if it did and was enforced every now and then, it would probably eliminate the legitimate rider using them as a short cut. Wouldn't do anything about stolen/unlicensed bikes, but I think they'll find a way in if they want to anyway.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

One of the difficulties I find is especially for off road routes, knowing it exists in the first place, where it goes, and the quality of the surface therein. Quite often a path can start out as nice wide tarmac but then without notice or means of escape it's a muddy gravelly quagmire.

I notice on the Sustrans maps it doesn't note my on local route NCN7 that there's a stretch of gravel inbetween the tarmac sections it's just all green.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:One of the difficulties I find is especially for off road routes, knowing it exists in the first place, where it goes, and the quality of the surface therein. Quite often a path can start out as nice wide tarmac but then without notice or means of escape it's a muddy gravelly quagmire.

I have been saying that all along, but as I am well used to natural paths over Dartmoor, it bothers me less.
But on my tourer It would be nice to be warned of the grade I might expect, at worst I am happy to carry my bike a short way.

But on a dark evening I was blocked by a gate on a hill which was tied with farmers twine so I had to lift the 35 kgs above my shoulders and drop the bike further down the other side (I would probably struggle comming up the hill) bridle path no less.

I want grading and when the path is graded then its added to a national register so all info in in one searchable place.

I will take it both ways, rough when I expect it and smooth when I am in a hurry.

A local bridle path (track with mud through woodland) was tarmaced over, then gritted, then Autumn was on us , now I have it to myself as the roadies dont use it any more even after the grit, and only dog walkers frequent it.

They are rebuilding a bridge (which used to take trains now long gone, railway bridge) Bovey tracy to Mortenhampstead and are spending millions too.

If only they asked the cyclist what is most important.
I have seen and use other cycle paths where million pound bridges were put in and the after the press release with grinning faces its now derilict of regular cyclist.

Give us some readable logical signs at the very least......................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Like this one?
Stede Hill.jpg

Caution CTC.jpg
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade