Skateboarders v cyclists..amazing footage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tonyf33

Skateboarders v cyclists..amazing footage

Post by Tonyf33 »

Just watched this, superb skills and really shows how centre of gravity and aerodynamics play a massive part in going quickly and being able to go around corners at rapid speeds (that and the wider contact point of the trucks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3nfGGJvMo
I want a go at that :D
snibgo

Re: Skateboarders v cyclists..amazing footage

Post by snibgo »

That looks fun. The geek in me asks: what was the camera vehicle?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I still have a huge scar on my left elbow from crashing my skateboard when I was about 12 or 13. My mate and I went everywhere on them. Was never brave enough for those speeds though :shock:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

snibgo wrote:That looks fun. The geek in me asks: what was the camera vehicle?

From the way it was moving about and the angles I'd say it was another 'boarder 8)

The cyclists weren't going that fast tbh but they (the boarders) were at least twice as fast if not more in places. :D
broadway

Post by broadway »

My first thoughts too, but followed a link a found what appears to be chase car in this video at 3:25

[youtube]UMoVKW-Yhjw[/youtube]
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Just a pair of knuckle draggers :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

If it's being touted as a display of skateboarders blowing away cyclists one has to say that the cyclists weren't exactly trying very hard. Noticed very little pedalling and the cyclists taking the long way around the bends to let the skateboarders have the racing line.

On the other hand one has to admire the bottle and skill of the boarders...even if it had little regard for the wellbeing of other road users - one slip and they could have taken a few of the cyclists out on the bends.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1

Those skateboarders wouldn't have caught ME up on my Mercian, despite their wonderful skill.
(rather them than me!)

Any road up, there ain't no way that skateboard wheels circa 2" diameter would spin as freely as 700c at that speed.
Mick F. Cornwall
RJS

Post by RJS »

After looking at this video I watched a link to roller-man, I think he may be faster still, 126kph, on lots of 2" wheels :shock: :)
Cheers, Rob.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I realise the cyclists aren't going that quickly but there is no way that a even a pro would be able to corner at the speeds these guys are going at. Given that the gradient isn't even that steep they are hitting well over 40mph in a very short space of time. Sorry to burst some people's bubble but these guys are faster 8)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The Pros would be pedalling...

Their peak corner speed might be slightly higher, but not their overall speed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
That hill is a 50mph hill with hard braking for the corners.

No way could a skateboarder keep up with a cyclist.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tonyf33 wrote:Just watched this, superb skills and really shows how centre of gravity and aerodynamics play a massive part in going quickly and being able to go around corners at rapid speeds (that and the wider contact point of the trucks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3nfGGJvMo
I want a go at that :D

Aero plays its part on the straight, but both are limited by bravery in the corners, and somewhat by the physics of the corner... Rolling resistance also plays a part on the straight, and those skate bearings do have limits...

The height of the CoG actually makes little difference for a leaning vehicle (like a bike), since the CoG is always in line* with the wheels (close enough), same with a skateboard - the CoG is always in line with the wheel tracks.
The traction is what makes a difference and I suspect that skateboards don't get better traction than the pneumatic tyres on a bike...

Basically the video show bravery, not physics.

* - When combining gravity with lateral accelerations. If it isn't in line then you fall over.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Pompey Monkey

Post by Pompey Monkey »

Great video!

But 700C or skateboard wheels vs small a stone/pothole?

I know which I'd prefer to have underneath my *****! ;)
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Assuming no rolling resistance, if a skateboarder has half the CdA of a cyclist, then his freewheel speed will be 1.41 times as fast.

If I was cycling down that hill, I would be braking. If I was skateboarding ... I would fall off.