Weekend Rides

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

Weekend Rides

Post by Vantage »

First weekend ride for a while.
Started off grey, misty and miserable. All the way into the hills I didn't have a single close miss with other traffic. Instant smile :)
Got into the hills and my bum stopped hurting and the sun started coming out. Bigger smile :)
Took a detour into a valley down some steep hills, screaming through corners at 40mph with the sun blazing and Bill Withers singing "Lovely Day"!
Huuuuuuge smile! :mrgreen:
Home along main roads and still no incidents and feeling happy. Even the postie who pulled her van into my path got a smile after I hit the brakes so hard that the back tyre left the road.
I'd almost forgotten why I cycle as lately all my rides had been during the week with a destination in mind mixing it up with all the eejits rushing about who also had destinations in mind whilst on time limits.
Today, a Saturday, was different. I set off for a ride with no other reasoning but to ride for the sheer simple pleasure of it. It was laid back, unhurried, easy going. Even hills seemed easier as rather than attacking them, I just breezed along and up them. Other cyclists seemed to having the same experience as most of them actually bothered to nod back.
I love my bike :)
Attachments
10653331_882485381803228_2750082477268996454_n.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Re: Weekend Rides

Post by reohn2 »

Photo:- Belmont behind you looking up the hill with Winter Hill just out of shot on the left?

Glad you had a nice ride BTW :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Yep lovely over Rivington today esp once the sun came out and it was pleasantly mild.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:Photo:- Belmont behind you looking up the hill with Winter Hill just out of shot on the left?

Glad you had a nice ride BTW :D

Yip indeedy. On the edge of Wards Reservoir, catching my breath :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Rain didn't discourage 18, including 3 first timers, coming out for our 22 mile Easyride this morning.

Split into 3 groups, kept in the lanes and met lots of very courteous oncoming motorists who stooped whilst we passed and overtaking ones who held back until they could pass safe and wide :) with just one exception :(
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Almost makes me want to move back to north Manchester where I come from.

I've done the lanes of Cheshire to death from my current south Manchester home.

The trek over Warburton bridge, up through Leigh and past Bolton to access the moors is a bit too long at this time of year.