The Great British Cyling quiz

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: The Great British Cyling quiz

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Edwards wrote:
Bicycler wrote:If something is worth doing it's worth doing well. If their wording can trip up people who know the law no doubt it can confuse those who don't. I also think it would be best for them not to offer sloppy legal advice for free if they want to attract paying clients.

They managed to catch out a few cyclists who think they know the law about ASL. First you must cross the stop line to get to the Advanced stop line.
The exact legal entry point was not asked for.

This quiz highlights why we are better off with proper legal representation when things end up in court. In law the exact wording is every thing an it is easy o trip people up.

The cycle lane does not have the stop line, you don't cross it, you take a lane in whuch it does not exist.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
andy65

Post by andy65 »

Perhaps it's because I got 100%, but I don't agree that the answers are wrong as they are the same as HWC, though I agree that the wording of the question is in some cases poor, but the answers are correct. If you don't believe me check the HWC for yourself
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

andy65 wrote:Perhaps it's because I got 100%, but I don't agree that the answers are wrong as they are the same as HWC, though I agree that the wording of the question is in some cases poor, but the answers are correct. If you don't believe me check the HWC for yourself

I couldn't find the section on fitting pedal reflectors to old bikes sold without them :wink:

Ultimately the HC is a summary of the law rather than the full content of the laws. The HC states that where it does refer to legal requirements
It is not intended to be a comprehensive guide, but a guide to some of the important points of law. For the precise wording of the law, please refer to the various Acts and Regulations (as amended) indicated in the Code.

I would expect a firm of solicitors to do more than pull out a copy of the Highway Code and write down some questions based upon their interpretation of the short summaries contained within.