And all she got was a penalty charge notice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: And all she got was a penalty charge notice

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote: ... THis one annoys m ein that he has got away with it...

They have waived the release fee.

Me I would have been clocking up the charges for the time

Yes. The theory is that the penalties should act as a deterrent, rather than form a source of revenue, even though the reality may be a bit different. Some people have so much £££ that a fixed penalty on its own will never deter them, especially if enforcement only occasionally occurs. Towing away is the nuclear option to deter these people. The release fee etc are just to ensure that the towing away doesn't result in a loss to the authority. The point that this selfish individual says he isn't well-off is here nor there: the fixed penalty didn't stop him parking selfishly.

This was all given a different slant in the Christmas Eve edition of the Daily Telegraph including:

... The drama led to a tense stand-off with police, who were unable to persuade the motorist to leave his car. Mr. Sanders said they threatened to smash his windows and arrest him ...

I note without comment that the Daily T describes him as a double glazing salesman.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:....I note without comment that the Daily T describes him as a double glazing salesman.

They perhaps thought it may have been cheaper for him to replace a broken window :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The same happened here about a fortnight ago. Some builders parked their truck in the market place so that the bus couldn't get between the truck and a fruit stall. I stood watching for about five minutes, but I don't know how it ended as it had gone when I came out of Sainsbury's.

My mum and aunt used to live in the town centre, and every Tom Dick and Harry in town used their drive as a public car park, so on the day when my mum moved to a flat of her own the removal van couldn't get in because someone was parked in the drive as usual. We called the police, but they just shrugged, said that parking on private property was nothing to do with them and went away again, so the removal van was parked on double yellow lines, and brought the town centre to a standstill on a busy Saturday morning.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Seeing as how I was a driving instructor for years, I’d better keep my thoughts to myself, but you could turn this into a Thomas the Tank Engine style bedtime story for the kids – ‘Timmy the Timely Tram and Winnie the Jingly Mini’...

“The Thin Controller was absolutely furious, but when he heard it was Winnie who caused the incident, he just rolled his eyes, shook his head wearily, muttered the word ‘airhead’ under his breath and shuffled off. You see, some cars never quite learn how to think.”
Last edited by kylecycler on 7 Jan 2015, 2:49am, edited 1 time in total.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

A clear case of needing the local tow-truck to simply lift the car up and carry it off to the local pound.

The woman was plain daft - parking half on the pavement, yellow lines clearly visible in front of her car, tram lines ditto, tram stop ditto, in a place where there is obviously no parking.

She's a prime example of someone who needs to re-take her driving test, and needs a good dressing-down on the subjects of
Common sense
Consideration for others
Plain, simple, roadcraft which seems to be missing from the brains of most road-users (2 wheels or more, with/without engines) these days!

Amazed to find you can still get these books http://www.roadcraft.co.uk - When I learned to motorcycle in the late 60's (the golden days of dead ton-up boys) my elder brother practically force-fed this to me. Best bit of reading I ever did. Maybe I'll get myself an up-to-date copy ....
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
jezer

Post by jezer »

I'm shocked that some motorists are allowed to keep their licenses when clearly they have no idea how to use the roads properly :shock:
Power to the pedals
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

It's been known in London for police to direct lorries so that our trailer wheels ride over cars parked too close to junctions...

I've had to bounce cars out of the way too, once when someone had abandoned a medium sized car well out from the curb. On a one-way street with a massive queue behind rapidly blocking off the whole neighbourhood we didn't really have much option! I can testify that it's not all that easy with two of you...

Had to track down a blue badge holder for parking so that a town-centre one-way was blocked off too.

People don't think beyond their own bonnet, it scares and saddens me in equal measure.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I'm also intrigued by how it was rolled away so easily - as MickF points out, it's wheels are moving and it looks to go pretty easily.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Those fake Minis are invariably badly driven but some might call it the motorists revenge given how much congestion and holdups the tram system caused in Nottingham when they were building the thing ..... :D They had a good trolley bus system until relatively recently - why did they get rid of it?

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:Those fake Minis are invariably badly driven but some might call it the motorists revenge given how much congestion and holdups the tram system caused in Nottingham when they were building the thing ..... :D They had a good trolley bus system until relatively recently - why did they get rid of it?

And in Bradford:
trolley7r.jpg

This was the last one in public service in Britain. But they may come back - in Leeds.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).