Wet weather gear

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dave Mania

Wet weather gear

Post by Dave Mania »

I've been doing ok with my hundred mile a week cycle commute, but that was in the summer. Now its the autumn and wet as you like. Trouble being I'm getting drenched to the bone in the morning and again on the way home... I can take a change of gear with me to work, but I'm stuffed for the next day, I can't get anything dry in time, then I'm out getting drenched the very next morning.
I've tried waterproofs, but they don't let sweat out so I'm arriving at work just as soaked as if I'd worn nothing waterproof and, frankly, minging. I need to find gear that keeps the rain out completely, but also wicks moisture away from the inside.
Does such stuff exist? Any suggestions?
Paulatic

Re: Wet weather gear

Post by Paulatic »

Buffalo
October to April I've no decisions on what to wear I just put on my Buffalo whatever the weather. Below 5C I usually wear a base layer under it. Dries in no time at all.
I wear this with waterproof trousers and shoe covers in heavy rain. 20ml commute and I never feel wet and miserable.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

raincape.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

Dave Mania wrote:I've been doing ok with my hundred mile a week cycle commute, but that was in the summer. Now its the autumn and wet as you like. Trouble being I'm getting drenched to the bone in the morning and again on the way home... I can take a change of gear with me to work, but I'm stuffed for the next day, I can't get anything dry in time, then I'm out getting drenched the very next morning.
I've tried waterproofs, but they don't let sweat out so I'm arriving at work just as soaked as if I'd worn nothing waterproof and, frankly, minging. I need to find gear that keeps the rain out completely, but also wicks moisture away from the inside.
Does such stuff exist? Any suggestions?

Paramo Quito
http://www.paramo.co.uk/cmsdata/Downloa ... y-11-1.pdf
http://www.mudandroutes.com/archives/26120
http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/ ... UITOUNISEX
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/ja ... 36510.html

I got mine second hand for £65, at the time would not have paid £200 but having used it now I would not hesitate. people are right about this brand.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

How long is your shift? Is there no heating facilities / boiler room? Towels? I get wet sometimes and while i have some old cheap cycling kit in my locker i can usually get most stuff dry during in my shift.
I always keep some spare socks and undies at work.
Any wet clothing gets rolled up in a towel, this helps absorb excess water then they get hung up and the ambient temperature does the rest....
Shoes get stuffed with newspaper / hand towels and changed at some point of the shift (if possible) this again absorbs most of the moisture and fresh dry socks to ride home in does the rest.
It is rare that i have a wet commute both ways or for the whole journey. Indeed i prefer almost to know i am setting out in rain that will continue for the whole journey then i can wear less layers under the waterproof and not arrive too sweated up, if starts raining on the way in i always remove the outer windproof style top and gilet that i am wearing.. to reduce sweating...

If dry i rarely set off in a waterproof as get far too hot.

Possibly you need to consider another set of cheap cycle clothes, a pair of longs and a couple of undervests should suffice?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

eileithyia wrote:How long is your shift? Is there no heating facilities / boiler room? Towels? I get wet sometimes and while i have some old cheap cycling kit in my locker i can usually get most stuff dry during in my shift.

We moved up the west of Scotland in October '82 and I cycle-commuted the eight miles to work and back.

We'd left Plymouth with sunny dry weather. The girls were in summer dresses and sandals, and I was cycle-commuting seven miles to work and back in shorts and light tops.

Within a week after moving north, the girls had to have wellies and winter clothing, and I suddenly was faced with being soaked wet through by the time I got to work. I had a locker at work, so I had a change of clothes, and my cycling gear was put over a nearby radiator to dry - including the shoes and socks! I'd drive in on a weekend with fresh shirts and socks etc to get me through the week.

By the time I finished work, I put on my (now bone dry) cycling gear and got soaking wet through going home. Stripping off, my gear went on the storage heater in the hall ready for the "cycle" to be repeated - seemingly endlessly.

This went on until mid December - constant rain and drizzle - to replaced by snow. :oops:

Happy days.
Mick F. Cornwall
andy65

Post by andy65 »

The road is wet for far longer than it is raining, so good full length mudguards are the best at keeping you dry. I choose what I wear depending on the forecast and I will avoid full waterproofs unless the raining hard on the way into work as I am going to have to put up with being wet for a shortish time on the way home, not enough to get cold anyway. In light rain I will not bother with any waterproof clothing as I get less wet than I would through sweating. Clothing like a soft shell works best on intermediate or showery days.
fast but dim

Post by fast but dim »

Paulatic wrote:Buffalo
October to April I've no decisions on what to wear I just put on my Buffalo whatever the weather. Below 5C I usually wear a base layer under it. Dries in no time at all.

+1. Shelled (micro) pile is a great way to feel dry in most conditions. Buffalo, Marmot Driclime, RAB Vapour rise are all variations on the theme. I've got a couple Karrimor Kalahari pile and pertex jackets from the 90's which are excellent in the wet/cold weather.
bryce

Post by bryce »

For commuting, I just use softshells (Gore Windstopper) jackets. They're waterproof enough that even in the worst conditions they keep me drier than my waterproofs, and the breath well. They're also good as it's easy to regulate temperature as they rely on being windproof rather than having insulation so unzipping a bit provides plenty of cooling.

If it looks like it might rain and it's no longer summer, I'll wear a softshell instead of a jersey. It saves spending the entire commute wondering if the rain will last long enough to be worthwhile stopping to put a jacket on.

Besides that taking it a bit easier will reduce the amount you heat up.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Similar questions and problems on a couple of so called 'pleasure/leisure' rides ( Big respect to commuters).
Here's my take on alleged waterproof clothing http://wp.me/p3yZa1-1eA

It seems the only waterproof item seems to be our skin. :cry: