Undertaken - on the pavement...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
andy65

Re: Undertaken - on the pavement...

Post by andy65 »

There appears to be a problem with perception. Drivers often see cyclists as something that must be overtaken immediately. It's not just fast or aggressive drivers. I have been passed very dangerously by people driving very slowly, the classic being little old ladies passing on the wrong side of a solid white line on a blind bend on a narrow road. They are clearly not in a hurry and they are not being aggressive, but it doesn't occur to them that if they wait a short amount of time they can pass more safely.

I don't know what causes it and I don't know what can be done to change it. Perhaps there needs to be research into the psychology of road users, to understand how we can overcome things like this. I include cyclists in this because I know that we can also be affected.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andy65 wrote:There appears to be a problem with perception. Drivers often see cyclists as something that must be overtaken immediately. It's not just fast or aggressive drivers. I have been passed very dangerously by people driving very slowly, the classic being little old ladies passing on the wrong side of a solid white line on a blind bend on a narrow road. They are clearly not in a hurry and they are not being aggressive, but it doesn't occur to them that if they wait a short amount of time they can pass more safely.

I don't know what causes it and I don't know what can be done to change it. Perhaps there needs to be research into the psychology of road users, to understand how we can overcome things like this. I include cyclists in this because I know that we can also be affected.

I agree the mad/psychotic/lunatic driving manoeuvres I've witnessed,because a driver had to slow down for what amounts to a few seconds,is is truly bizarre and bewildering,the blind overtake being be just one of many.
Just to be rooted to the spot at the next TL :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Motorists love traffic jams, but they're best when they are stationary...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

andy65 wrote:There appears to be a problem with perception. Drivers often see cyclists as something that must be overtaken immediately. It's not just fast or aggressive drivers. I have been passed very dangerously by people driving very slowly, the classic being little old ladies passing on the wrong side of a solid white line on a blind bend on a narrow road. They are clearly not in a hurry and they are not being aggressive, but it doesn't occur to them that if they wait a short amount of time they can pass more safely.

It's not just cyclists that have to be overtaken. I used to drive regularly for work with a 12'x5' capacity trailer. Some drivers just had to pass me at all costs.

It's often old people, both men and women, who seem to pass me rather too close when I'm cycling, and, as you note, they are not usually going that fast. I'm not sure why? I'm an old'un myself. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.