Undertaken - on the pavement...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Undertaken - on the pavement...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

This morning I was undertaken by a car which took to the pavement to pass (just) me before a junction where our ways easily part, and less than a couple of hundred yards before it all turns dual carriageway anyway...

Stupid cagebound idiot
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Re: Undertaken - on the pavement...

Post by kwackers »

Once when I was in Brighton I was walking along and there was an old guy slowly crossing the road.
A 4x4 took advantage of the driveway ramps to pass him on the pavement without slowing down (I'd estimate 35mph ish) - admittedly it only put two wheels on the pavement and left two on the road...
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Presumably just 2 wheels on the pavement. Not an uncommon occurrence if the vehicle in front is turning right. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Not *that* close to a junction - I was still accelerating down the hill
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It never fails to amaze me what drivers will justify in their minds to save what in the vast majority of cases is a handful of seconds.Overtaking on a blind bend being the worst case, and all too frequent IME.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

This is the approach to the Beehive Roundabout in Horwich from the north. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.58517 ... !2e0?hl=en
It's a single lane road and doesn't split into two lanes until waaaaaay further up near the actual roundabout and miraculously, still leaves the cycle lane intact.
I see this kind of selfish mayhem all too often. It got so bad one day that a driver in a silver estate overtook myself and 2 following cyclists only to be held up by other traffic. His answer was to put two wheels on the pavement and undertake everyone else. He didn't take into account the great big dumpster truck further on and got stuck behind it, blocking our cycle lane. It took a few minutes to get moving again.
Oddly enough, unlike the many motorists out there, we didn't honk our horns, hurl abuse at him or use our bikes to intimidate him. We waited patiently. :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Yep, had that before - approaching a red light so easing off, car behind mounted pavement to undertake - then stopped at red light (which turned green and I overtook whilst the driver was finding first gear :lol: ),
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Oh i lurve the Beehive as a motorist and as a cyclist, i often position my van to prevent undertaking vehicles at the point where the road has not yet split into two lanes, but vehicles do it anyway blocking the cycle lane..... :twisted: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's a depressingly frequent bit of bad driving on the A10 cycleway near me. On the narrower sections, I keep an eye on the road ahead and prepare to follow (and shout at, usually, because they apparently haven't shoulder-checked and seen me before pulling across) any vehicles that drive up the kerb to get around a right-turning vehicle ahead. There's a brambly open drain next to the cycleway opposite two turnings which I don't want to inspect IYSWIM.

The number of black tyre marks skidding along the cycleway and the number of collisions at the junctions where motorists do it (sometimes scattering glass and car parts across the cycleway) suggests that a scary number still try even when they can't fit past. It seems like an easy way to spot reckless drivers so I wish the police would camp out at the worst places for it - or preferably, I wish the highway authority would put a few posts in the kerb-line opposite one turning to protect walkers and riders.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

On my cycle commute home last friday evening I was overtaken by a man driving a Peugeot 206 convertible whilst I had my right arm outstretched and filtered into a right turn lane coming up to a junction. I had checked that it was safe to carry out the manoeuvre but I hadn't counted on this driver accellerating 100 metres before a red stop light. The overtaking vehicle then swerved back into the 'straight on lane' whilst trying to comply with the red traffic lights. I resisted the urge to tap on his window as I pulled up at the traffic lights alongside him but I made a mental note of the registration number.

Crass stupidity and idiotic impatience!
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

But you were cycling! Of course he had to get to the red light before you! You'd have held him up otherwise, whilst RLJing ('cos all cyclists do you know). :lol:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

What about this for undertaking/overtaking madness?

It shows a car overtaking a truck after undertaking a vehicle which was already in the process of overtaking the truck. Not a bicycle in sight, fortunately.

:shock:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

LollyKat wrote:What about this for undertaking/overtaking madness?

It shows a car overtaking a truck after undertaking a vehicle which was already in the process of overtaking the truck. Not a bicycle in sight, fortunately.

I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What I love is that the manoeuvre isn't labelled dangerous but "dangerous".

The BBC really are struggling to say anything nowadays. I seem to recall that they said something along the lines of "Philae landed on the so called comet"
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

They've charged the driver - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-30112988 . Very strong and dangerous car culture amongst the youths in the NE of Scotland, although it's not the only place. Due to the affluence in the area, they (or bank of mum and dad) can afford to buy AND insure a car with a decent engine. :shock: