Give way to pavement cyclist when turning into side road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Heltor Chasca

Give way to pavement cyclist when turning into side road?

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm of the opinion, within reason, that like on the water, power gives way to sail. What I mean is: the more powerful, faster and more likely to hurt someone (i.e. My steel bike) the more you should look out for more vulnerable, less aware road users like pedestrians. I've only ever hit someone once and although she was technically at fault in every way (jumped off a moving bus on Oxford St into me) I know in my heart I could have reacted quicker if I had ridden more defensively. I've never hit a pedestrian since and I hope never to again...hc

I rode on a pavement today! Only because it has signs up showing it was legally shared use. Lower Bristol Rd in Bath where canal path connects to Route24/2tunnels.
MartinC

Re: Give way to pavement cyclist when turning into side road

Post by MartinC »

beardy wrote:So where do Dutch dog owners take their dogs for a toilet stop then? :?

Belgium?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bicycler wrote: ... . I think the driving instructor's mantra is "priority is always given, never taken" or words to that effect...

No, that's what it should be...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Mark1978 wrote:I've watched quite a few videos about NL bike paths and apart from the obvious of width and maintenance but the complete lack of the legions of dog walkers you get on every path here.

When we cycled in Holland, we saw plenty of people exercising their dogs on the cycle paths. Not dog walkers, they were on their bikes, with the dog trotting alongside. The lead wasn't just tied to the bike, there appeared to be a device sold for the purpose with a spring/bungee.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

snibgo wrote: The fact that one might previously have been cycling where it wasn't allowed isn't relevant.

Even when cycling where cycling is not allowed, cyclists get some protection.

HC rule 206 says: "Drive carefully and slowly when... needing to cross a pavement or cycle track; for example, to reach or leave a driveway. Give way to pedestrians and cyclists on the pavement".
JayGatsby

Post by JayGatsby »

I'm surprised the OP even knows rule 170, a large number of motorists it seems are ignorant of it and beep in protest at pedestrians who have the temerity to cross a road they are turning into. Sadly cyclists appear equally ignorant of this rule and ping their bell in equal, but misplaced frustration. Personally I always let them cross if I turn into a road. It's just so much nicer for all parties that way.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
JayGatsby wrote:I'm surprised the OP even knows rule 170, a large number of motorists it seems are ignorant of it and beep in protest at pedestrians who have the temerity to cross a road they are turning into. Sadly cyclists appear equally ignorant of this rule and ping their bell in equal, but misplaced frustration. Personally I always let them cross if I turn into a road. It's just so much nicer for all parties that way.

I am in the camp that pings / Blasts ( :) ) any ped who dares to walk off the pavement whilst on their mobile / grinning at their children running across the road unsupervised / simply relying on hearing only............... WITHOUT looking first :x

The funny backward walks are rib hurting but then theres the ignore completly because If I do that it never happened its not me your blasting your horn at.

I hope you dont stop and wave them across with a big smile whilst they are on kerb waiting Camp :?:

That wont get you in court but you might not sleep that easy if another car runs over the pedestrian on the other side of road :!:

My partner did just that...............not their fault the pedestrian crossed in front of car at roundabout exit/junction and did not look at traffic on other side of road :? ...Whilst waving to Do Goody car driver.............

Fortuanately the ped was not badly hurt but then decided he was and pretended disability since accident.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

It's bad when we come to the stage where we start blaming the drivers who obey the law