Motorcyclist encounters obstructive motorist (YouTube)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: The Calm Before The Storm

Post by reohn2 »

mike_dowler wrote:I am interested in the assertion that motorcyclists have the right to filter. Does this have any basis in eg the HC? I appreciate the argument that it makes a (small) reduction in the length of the queue, but cannot see why it should be necessary. After all motorbikes are perfectly able to keep up with the traffic flow when it is moving; why should they not also wait there turn when the traffic is stopped?

Why should other road users block anyone filtering if it's safe to do so,especially if the vehicle needn't be held up other than the fact that they chose the right mode of transport when others didn't?

The situation is rather different for cyclists since (a) most of us cannot keep up with freely flowing traffic, (b) the HC encourages cats to overtake (or at least assumes that they will), and (c) facilities are usually directed at providing a specific route for filtering. I starting thinking about this in the recent discussion about ASLs, which I am often forced to share with motorbikes.

It's all about safe movement of traffic,if it's safe to filter then what's the problem,whatever the vehicle?
Motorcycles and can filter safely through standing and slow moving traffic,so why should they needlessly wait in a line of traffic :?
The whole problem in the video in question is the car driver who can't get anywhere but decides to impede the motorcyclist's progress unnecessarily out of nothing other than stupid and deliberate nastiness.
The motorcyclist's response is arguably OTT but there is no need for him to be held up if there's room to filter safely.
I really don't understand attitude of,I'm stopped so everyone else should be too! :?

Edited to clarify
Last edited by reohn2 on 16 Nov 2014, 7:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

RJS wrote:...P.S. I've shouted and gesticulated may times in the past :shock: older now and have found I enjoy my ride far more if I don't get upset, and remember the times when I've been at fault :oops:

I'm going with this. I drive a pickup and trailer for work purposes; I've commuted for 5 years by bike in London and I used to ride a Suzuki 350DR. With all that aside nothing floats my endorphins like my 'push bike' so with my long hair, beard and life experiences as strings to my 'bow of life' I prefer to let stuff like this wash over me while I get on and enjoy what cycling gives me. One massive grin! [emoji12]
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I got home about an hour ago after taking a night ride. All well and pleasant until about ten minutes from home.
Some chavvy scrote in his dads Avensis revved the living daylights out of it before lurching at me as I crossed his path. He stopped about 2 feet from me. All his mates sat on the wall erupted in fits of laughter as did he, probably as a result of the look of terror on my face. I looked at him, shook my head and cycled off.
It was a good half hour till I stopped shaking.
I can understand that some folk here may think the motorcyclists language was maybe a bit over the top and maybe it was, but as already stated by others, we don't know how his week was up until that incident.
Had it not been for the fact that I'm only 5'3" and fairly wussy and that his mates were there, I'd have dragged him from his car and hospitalized him. Literally. I still feel that way about it. I may have calmed down a bit by tomorrow.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.