Motorcyclist encounters obstructive motorist (YouTube)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

Motorcyclist encounters obstructive motorist (YouTube)

Post by Vantage »

How I and I think many of us feel.
A warning of a bit of swearing at the very end for those with delicate ears.http://youtu.be/6qxobdCjFKY
Last edited by Graham on 1 Dec 2014, 4:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title change corresponding to content.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
reohn2

Re: The Calm Before The Storm

Post by reohn2 »

Love it!
And I can't deny it but,on occasion........ :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
honesty

Post by honesty »

That's brilliant. Given me a right giggle. Nice find.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Nice monologue but I'm not sure the fiat 500 does that much wrong, they seem to start their manoeuvre at the same time the motorbike pulls across the white line, the fiat 500 then is forced to stop by the motorbike who doesn't seem to slow down much. Also at the point the motorcyclist decides to pass the white car on his left, by pulling across the white line, where is he hoping to go? The Fiat 500 is already nearer the white line than the other vehicles, before it moves across further, leaving little room for the motorcyclist to squeeze past. The Fiat 500 could just have been moving across to the white line to allow the Argos truck to filter past them on their left. Isn't the motorcyclist putting themselves in danger by riding towards oncoming traffic, risking his health and life? Is he thinking of the consequences? The impact it may have on his life and that of his family?
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I really can't see what the car did wrong there. The biker needs to learn to ride with the traffic, not against it.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Glad it's not just me.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I would put it in much stronger terms. The white Fiat did nothing wrong at all. He was at the right-hand side of, but still within, his lane, ready for his lane dividing into two. Entirely proper and natural. Did he see, in the distance, the approaching motorcycle on the wrong side of the road? Possibly, but there was ample opportunity to the motorcyclist to move over, as he should have done.

The motorcyclist continues on the wrong side of the road, heading straight for the car. The driver is probably thinking, "What the Hell?"

At the last moment, the motorcyclist pulls in, and gives the driver an earful. What for?!?!?

Yes, the video is cute and charming. But entirely mistaken. Doubtless he could have found an example of obstructive driving. Instead, he showed an example of obstructive motorcycling.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

This video made me feel.
What a sense of entitlement that bloke has. Everybody should get out of my way I am doing them a favour.

The last time I came across such a self righteous self centred I am important attitude was a urban warrior saving the planet cyclist.
He is doing me no favours as I do not go to that dreadful place London.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
honesty

Post by honesty »

Oh yes, definitely the biker is in the wrong here, but still gave me a good giggle.
beardy

Post by beardy »

My first impression was that the motorcyclist was in the wrong and it remains that when you overtake on the other side of the road that the traffic on that side have priority.

Watching it a few times (and the editing doesnt help) I think that I can detect the driver moving over to the line at about the time the motorcyclist comes into her view. A few times when I was in London as a motorcycle courier I experienced this often much more undeniably blatant and deliberate.
I probably swore at them too as their intent deserved it but you will always have something like that prepared for in your decision whether to overtake there or not.
It remains that videos dont give as good a picture as being there in person.

So accepting that the car has priority over the motorcyclist, is it OK to purposefully drive into their path when you see them and close the gap that they were travelling in? As compared to say exerting your priority if wanting to be at the white line because you need to be in that position.
Overtaking where he was that eventuality (deliberate or not) should have been in the motorcyclist's "plan" with an escape route available back to his own side, costing no more than a swear word or two.
Where as a car driver would be able to intimidate any two wheeler into the gutter and carry on. :wink:

I did look at a few of his other videos and he does seem to be very self serving in deciding what is right and wrong.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Very strange vid, don't quite see what the point was. Made himself look a complete tool. Entertaining in a stupid/selfish way. Why does he think he had any right of way at all. Bit like a couple of bike v bus vids I've seen recently where riders abused the drivers for no obvious reason.
Just noticed that the OP says, it's 'how many of us feel'? What, from the bikes point of view? Sorry, no way.
Last edited by Phil Fouracre on 13 Nov 2014, 9:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's gridlocked,the driver of the fiat can see they're going nowhere.
The line of cars in front of the Fiat are well to the left of the white line.
There is no reason for the Fiat to come so far out as demonstrated by the much wider Z series BMW already stopped in the jam.
The Argos truck's going nowhere either so I'm not buying it that the Fiat driver is making way allowing it to filter on the left.
It's a selfish power trip blocking manoeuvre by the Fiat driver as she had a yard to spare to her left.
It wouldn't have warranted [ forceful language ] from me,just a shake of the head,but it's bad driving IMHO.
And it hardly matters that the motorcycle is to the right of the white line so long as there's room to overtake safely,there was until the fiat driver attempted to close the door deliberately.
Last edited by Graham on 13 Nov 2014, 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forceful language
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
beardy

Post by beardy »

As somebody who used to ride a motorcycle (often on the wrong side of the line for quite long periods) I do accept that the line is there for a purpose and the Fiat is within their rights to take as much of their side of the road as they like. If we start introducing grey into that the whole system will collapse!

Once you start saying the Fiat can not take up their chosen line because it interferes with any body who is willing to endanger themselves by driving on the wrong side, you will in effect reverse the priorities from those that are stated.

So the Fiat was being a bit of a nasty person by moving to the right but I think that they have every right to do so and that right should be upheld. Especially as we really need it as cyclists who are subject to close passes from oncoming cars that are overtaking and who think we need no more space than 2 foot of gutter.

So the Fiat driver gets to choose where ever she likes on her side of the lines. If this means that it is into his path then possibly he was on dodgy grounds overtaking at that point. I always considered myself on dodgy grounds making such overtakes as a courier.
RJS

Post by RJS »

Legally the car driver does nothing wrong, a bit unfriendly, the motorcyclist seems to think every one should make way for him. Rather than rant and rave he would be better off smiling and giving her a wave, then enjoying the rest of his day. Swearing at her will only encourage her in her ways. Since going back to motor bikes last year I've been surprised by the amount of car drivers who purposely move to the left for me to filter through, I just hope they don't stray into the cycle lane if there's a cyclist there :shock:
Cheers, Rob.
P.S. I've shouted and gesticulated may times in the past :shock: older now and have found I enjoy my ride far more if I don't get upset, and remember the times when I've been at fault :oops:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Fiat driver did nothing wrong, but with a little more awareness might usefully have maintained her line until the bike was past and then taken up her position. Whether she did it consciously or unconsciously, who knows?

Why was a Youtube video made of this, I wonder? (I don't have the benefit of sound at work, so maybe there's something I've missed)