Anyone not been hit by a car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bazzo

Re: Anyone not been hit by a car

Post by bazzo »

Never been hit by a car, cycle for 55 years. I have had a lot of accidents and twice run into a car, both times it was my fault.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In 40 + years of cycling, I have never been hit by a car. I have been forced off the road twice, though I avoided any damage or injury on both occasions. When I was young (not sure how old, but under 12) I rode into the back of a parked car :oops:

Furthermore, I know many cyclists who have never been hit by a car; people with many years of cycling experience, and the kind of mileage I can only envy. I do know a couple of people who have had multiple altercations with motor vehicles, but they are the only ones I can think of that I know have been hit by cars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

If I have not mentioned it before, I am very careful cycling relative to the average cyclist. I have the recently bought a yellow hi-vis helmet( I regret not buying an orange one), I have a loud horn, lights in the daytime, and a rear view mirror. And I generally signal and look back whenever I can. Still a bit shaky one-handed but improving. I still get stories of accidents. It’s like everyone has a story. I wonder if woman fare better.
mjr

Post by mjr »

toomsie wrote:If I have not mentioned it before, I am very careful cycling relative to the average cyclist. I have the recently bought a yellow hi-vis helmet( I regret not buying an orange one), I have a loud horn, lights in the daytime, and a rear view mirror. And I generally signal and look back whenever I can. Still a bit shaky one-handed but improving. I still get stories of accidents. It’s like everyone has a story. I wonder if woman fare better.

Horn OK, but none of the others indicate care. In fact, most of them have been accused of putting one in more danger (such as the famous studies of passing distance helmetted/unhelmetted), although the evidence isn't great.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mjr wrote:
toomsie wrote:If I have not mentioned it before, I am very careful cycling relative to the average cyclist. I have the recently bought a yellow hi-vis helmet( I regret not buying an orange one), I have a loud horn, lights in the daytime, and a rear view mirror. And I generally signal and look back whenever I can. Still a bit shaky one-handed but improving. I still get stories of accidents. It’s like everyone has a story. I wonder if woman fare better.

Horn OK, but none of the others indicate care. In fact, most of them have been accused of putting one in more danger (such as the famous studies of passing distance helmetted/unhelmetted), although the evidence isn't great.

Forgot my helmet the other week, and it was only after I realised that the traffic was giving me far more space than usual, and was overtaking more carefully as well, and was wondering why that was, that I noticed I was 'without' it.
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

Can anyone else verify this. If this is the case I am going to get a helmet with dreadlocks on them.
Paulatic

Anyone not been hit by a car

Post by Paulatic »

Not sure about the dreadlocks but I can thoroughly recommend a couple of pig tails adorned with roses. I'm determined women can't claim all the best colours for themselves. I like pink, I wear it.
A few years ago I was bidding on two cycling skull caps on EBay They were 'designer wear' (Sheila Moon )and I left a bid of a pound on each. The plain one sold for a few pounds, I didn't get it, but I did win a pale blue one adorned with a large pink rose.
Most of the time it's under my helmet to protect the sensitivity of fellow riders. Last week I was out, without a helmet, and wearing this cap. Forty mile ride and not one really close pass. A couple of 'I wish they were further out', but certainly an improved distance from overtaking vehicles. Indeed many went over the centre line to pass.

BTW I've never been hit by a car, and I've heat mapped most of Northern England and Southern Scotland, and only ever fallen off my road bike (2x) when learning use of SPD pedals.
Last edited by Paulatic on 24 Mar 2015, 1:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

I cant wear pig tails, I am a man :(
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

toomsie wrote:Can anyone else verify this.

It might be purely anecdotal as i don't have the gear to measure but generally i find i do get more space sans helmet than with and perversely i get more space if i'm togged up in lycra than when i'm in mufti! :shock:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

toomsie wrote:I cant wear pig tails, I am a man :(

why not? good enough for Eric The Red and Tonto! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

foxyrider wrote:
toomsie wrote:I cant wear pig tails, I am a man :(

why not? good enough for Eric The Red and Tonto! :lol:

:(
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

toomsie wrote:Can anyone else verify this.

Anecdotal again

I've only worn a helmet once in my life. I borrowed my Dads and went out for a ride, just to try it. In one hour I got more stupidly dangerous (or is that dangerously stupid?) overtakes than I normally see in a fortnight! Needless to say I've never worn one since.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

foxyrider wrote:
toomsie wrote:why not? good enough for Eric The Red and Tonto! :lol:

I don't think it was the braids that protected Eric The Red from close passes — more likely the battle axe strapped to the pannier rack. :wink:
RickH

Post by RickH »

Wasn't there some (minor) research done with different combinations of clothing (normal, hi-vis, cycling kit), helmet (or not), etc. that showed that the most effective item for getting cars to give space was a long blonde wig? Make of that what you will :D

Edited to add: found a link - the guy got an average of 14cm more space with a blonde wig on.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think all cyclists should be required to be 6ft+ blokes weighing 14 stone or more. Drivers really don't fancy having me bounce off their bonnets and tend to give me plenty of room.