Abuse

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Abuse

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Normally as I commute I'll tell other cyclists if their rear light batteries are failing, or motorists if they have lost a light.

Generally I get a pretty good response... today I passed a vehicle showing white lights to the rear - one of the few things that is actively illegal via the RVLR (rather than passively illegal - lamps without BS marks etc).

Nothing but abuse - complete prat. Went far enough as to stop and be abusive.

Yes, they were on a bike...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Re: Abuse

Post by honesty »

I generally don't bother telling other cyclists about their failings as there does seem to be a core around here that are fine with doing all the usual cyclist stereotypes. Apart from teh older people blithely cycling through red lights there's a group that cycle with no lights on what so ever. They generally seem to be 13 - 14 year old boys on those fake bmx things with no brakes. I have to say if it were my kid I wouldn't have let them out on the bike which they couldn't stop properly let alone let them out without lights at the moment. I'm thinking if one of them gets squished Taunton may do something about it's rubbish cycling infrastructure though. Silver linings and all that...

I did this recently and scared the bejesus out of the people in the car. They had a rear flat tyre so I rolled up to the passenger window and politely knocked on it whilst smiling. Passenger jumped out of their skin, and the driver looked like I had teleported from nowhere. The driver didn't even crack the window until he had worked out i wasn't going to rollock him for poor driving, and even then only cracked it an inch so he could hear what I said. No thanks either, just a grunt.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oh dear - some years ago, there was an occasion when my son got stranded without a rear light, but he had a spare front light, so he mounted it facing rear as an emergency get-you-home measure. Illegal, OK, but I was relieved that he thought of this, rather than attempting the ride home with no rear light whatever.

But, talking of white lights - I went out for the first time with one of those super-bright ("stupidly bright", some will say) front lights, last night, on a filthy night with driving rain, on completely unlit narrow country lanes, I was jolly glad to have this, it lit up the road before me as well as a car's headlights would. I really need this - my previous ride along the same roads, with just a cheapo LED front light, I found it quite a strain to follow the road.

But I did manage to annoy another road user. I was studious about 'dipping' my light to the lower setting whenever facing an oncoming driver or rider. But I omitted to do so when overtaken by a car - it's a rather fiddly operation especially in gloves. One passing motorist took exception, he stopped about 100 yards ahead of me and flashed his hazards and rear fogs. And there I am thinking, every rear-view mirror I've ever experienced has invariably had a secondary, low-reflection surface, which you can bring into instant use by flicking a lever. I wonder what sort of 'rage' might have ensued if I'd ridden up to this motorist and confronted him/her?

No matter. I dutifully switched my light to low power and he drove on. I'm not the sort to pick a fight. :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Generally I don't think people like having vehicle faults pointed out to them unless its by someone they know. I think some can take it very personally. Many years ago following a taxi with no working brake lights (and having found myself standing on the brake before realising the fact) I jumped out at the next set of traffic light to let the cabbie know. He wasn't abusive but his attitude was 'who gives a [inappropriate word removed]?'

I was amazed that a professional driver, who could have a fare in the back when being rear-ended could think such, but once I was gone he might have gone to fix it, or get it fixed straight away.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was out on foot the other evening long after dark, when a car driver flashed what I interpreted as a friendly warning to a driver coming the other way who appeared to have forgotten to turn on their lights. This provoked a prolonged blast on the horn combined with main beam, culminating in an aggressive swerve across the road. I presume they felt very silly when they eventually realised they were driving without lights.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

If i pass a cyclist who clearly has a failing / failed back light i will mention it... and often get a thanks, it is not worth saying anything to those without a light they are not interested and are usally abusive, besides motorists never fail to see them as they always complain about cyclists with no lights...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

eileithyia wrote:If i pass a cyclist who clearly has a failing / failed back light i will mention it... and often get a thanks, it is not worth saying anything to those without a light they are not interested and are usally abusive, besides motorists never fail to see them as they always complain about cyclists with no lights...

Ah, I see you make a subtle distinction. I have had at least one instance where my rearlight fell off and I didn't realise it until miles further on, a gentle reminder from another cyclist or other road user would have been helpful! But you're right, it's hard to tell between those who don't know and don't care, and those who don't know but do care...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I also once met a cyclist with a rear light that was not only white it was dazzlingly bright. She didn't care less when I told here it was not only illegal it was also causing danger to other cyclists, all she cared about was being seen. Hope the police stopped her.
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

I shouted at a cyclist this evening on a country lane, he was coming towards me, reflective bits on jacket, really nice bright front light, slight flicker so possibly dynamo. After he passed I turned around to check out his rear lights and.. nothing. It was pitch black so I yelled at the top of my voice but he was already too far away so I just saw his front light lighting up the hedges in the distance.
60mph road with no street lighting and fast cars, I hope he got home ok. He probably wasn't aware of the rear being out.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I advised a 'ninja' the other night that his lights had fallen off and he replied that he couldn't hear me cause he had his earphones in :shock:
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

I've just found three rear lights which came free with various other lights, I'm going to carry them and hand them out to people I see without rear lights. Let's see what reactions I get.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Nothing but abuse - complete prat. Went far enough as to stop and be abusive.

I hope that you informed then that you could have stayed at home to receive better quality abuse from SWMBO. :wink: :roll:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Penfolds11

Post by Penfolds11 »

Redvee wrote:I advised a 'ninja' the other night that his lights had fallen off and he replied that he couldn't hear me cause he had his earphones in :shock:

Three separate threads in one sentence - top work! :)
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Penfolds11 wrote:
Redvee wrote:I advised a 'ninja' the other night that his lights had fallen off and he replied that he couldn't hear me cause he had his earphones in :shock:

Three separate threads in one sentence - top work! :)

Was he wearing a helmet?
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

Always have 2 rear lights - just incase one fails :wink: