Sweat in eyes solution

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TonyR

Sweat in eyes solution

Post by TonyR »

I, and I know a few others here do too, suffer from sweat running off my forehead into my eyes when cycling. A cycle cap holds it back for a while but eventually becomes saturated and fails. At this years Cycle Show I came across a stand selling anti-sweat headbands and caps with a silicon strip inside to divert the sweat away to the sides and although not cheap, I bought one to try. And I have to say it seems to work so much so that I've just ordered a second one with ear coverage for my winter commutes. If anyone else has the same problem and wants to try one their website is http://www.haloheadbanduk.com. I have absolutely no connection with the company other than as a paying very satisfied customer.
Edwards

Re: Sweat in eyes solution

Post by Edwards »

You could always wear a helmet with built in front sweat band, with the vents helping to move the air and sweat to the back of the head. Then you are sorted. :wink: :roll: :lol:
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Edwards wrote:You could always wear a helmet with built in front sweat band, with the vents helping to move the air and sweat to the back of the head. Then you are sorted. :wink: :roll: :lol:

I generally don't get a sweaty head - except when i wear a helmet!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Edwards wrote:You could always wear a helmet with built in front sweat band, with the vents helping to move the air and sweat to the back of the head. Then you are sorted. :wink: :roll: :lol:

Never worked in the days when I did wear a helmet so no reason it would work now. All the front sweat band did was load up with sweat and then release it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sounds like a good idea.
Personally, I don't sweat much even with a helmet, but I can see what this Halo thingy is for.

Yes, a good idea.
Mick F. Cornwall
Andyw

Post by Andyw »

I bought on a few years ago, but found it became saturated and made my head even hotter than normal. There's another product called a seatgutr which I might try out. I'm fed up with insects in my eyes because my glasses are covered in perspiration.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have this problem too - I wear a bush hat in rain or winter, but not in warm weather, and it doesn't hold it all back. Thought of donning a knotted headscarf, pirate-fashion. Perhaps a headband is the answer, but I'm shy of playing the Bjorn-Borg-lookalike (well, an older, uglier, shorter, dumpier and less hirsute version of BB that is...)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Vaseline in the eyebrows works a treat but I always forget until the stinging starts :( :(
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Vaseline is the tip i have heard of recently... what i really want is a band that covers the ears and incorporates a sun visor to combat the low sun at this time of year.
But thanks for the link and am considering one so that it will fit under my usual ski band.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I use a Halo sweat band and it works fabulously.
I even wear it under a cap in the winter so my head stays warm but the sweat doesn't run down into my eyes.
oneten

Post by oneten »

Unfortunately I've found that 'old sweat' accumulated in the headband /sponge of a helmet becomes reactivated when it rains and forms a very potent mixture which really is nasty when it runs down into the eyes. Wish I'd remembered to wash the thing after previous rides. Trouble is, when washing the sponge padding it often becomes detached from the inside and never goes back quite the same. :roll:
RickH

Post by RickH »

oneten wrote:Unfortunately I've found that 'old sweat' accumulated in the headband /sponge of a helmet becomes reactivated when it rains and forms a very potent mixture which really is nasty when it runs down into the eyes. Wish I'd remembered to wash the thing after previous rides. Trouble is, when washing the sponge padding it often becomes detached from the inside and never goes back quite the same. :roll:

I wear a buff (or similar fabric tube - I've accumulated several freebies in recent years only one is, I think, a genuine "Buff") either folded as as sweat band or in a hat mode, depending on temperature & level of exertion, which I find keeps the sweat mostly out of the padding. It can be hung out to dry during stops, even rinsed if necessary, or can be swapped with a fresh one mid-ride.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

One of those Golf Peak things that have no top to them.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
531colin

Post by 531colin »

RickH wrote:I wear a buff (or similar fabric tube - I've accumulated several freebies in recent years only one is, I think, a genuine "Buff") either folded as as sweat band or in a hat mode, depending on temperature & level of exertion, which I find keeps the sweat mostly out of the padding. It can be hung out to dry during stops, even rinsed if necessary, or can be swapped with a fresh one mid-ride.

Rick.

+1 , although its a bandana in my case. I don't own a h*lm*t, and in the past I used to simply saturate cotton cycle caps or towelling tennis style headbands, and as somebody said, you then get concentrated sweat in your eyes.
When Parrot Outdoor had a shop in Ingleton I bought several bandanas made of some modern fast-wicking, quick-drying stuff. Good bit of kit, although the colours fade in 10 years of washing......
oneten

Re: Sweat in eyesse solution

Post by oneten »

Good suggestion Rick. In the winter I wear a thin balavlava style hood and the problem doesn't arise. I usually get caught out in rain showers after a sweaty period of hot weather cycling but will make sure I've got one of those bandanna things in the bag for when it rains.