Aggressive Camden Council Driver – Worth Reporting?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Slow Loris

Aggressive Camden Council Driver – Worth Reporting?

Post by Slow Loris »

This is the first time I've felt inclined to report an altercation with a driver, and it's primarily because Camden are one of the few London boroughs that's generally pro cycling.

For anyone that knows the area, I was on the Primrose Hill Rd heading for the junction with Adelaide Rd. There is a narrow, lumpy cycle lane along the gutter which I always ignore. I was in primary in a queue of traffic crawling towards a green light, as I felt filtering on the right wasn't worth it. Despite the queue, a Camden van driver behind me decided to overtake, glaring through the window – the lights changed to red soon after and I was surprised to see him stop behind the ASL. I filtered to the ASL and actually thanked him for stopping behind, but he proceeded to shout the old chestnut that I was wrongly in the middle of the road and should be using the gutter cycle lane. Without losing my rag, I politely refuted this and suggested he get some training. Bizarrely, he did a perfectly good overtake when the lights changed :? .

Given that Camden provided my cycle training which encouraged using primary in heavy traffic, and given the amount of stickers in London discouraging cyclists from filtering on the inside, I find this driver's attitude a poor reflection on the council and feel they should be made aware. I've noted his numberplate but am unsure which department to contact. Any thoughts? Are there any forum members here involved with Camden council, or Camden LCC?
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
mjr

Re: Aggressive Camden Council Driver – Worth Reporting?

Post by mjr »

Slow Loris wrote:I've noted his numberplate but am unsure which department to contact. Any thoughts?

Call 020 7974 4444 (8am-6pm Monday-Friday) and explain the problem and see who they suggest.

In general, the answer to "Worth Reporting?" is almost always "Yes". The only company OTTOMH that I wouldn't bother with is Addison Lee and even then I might go to the police if it was bad enough.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Slow Loris wrote:Are there any forum members here involved with Camden council, or Camden LCC?

I am with Camden CC. I'll check who's the best person to send it to.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would say yes (reporting it to the council, not Police).

And when reporting it, say how they clearly have not trained their drivers to be aware of cycling practices, etc. and encourage them to start a training program for all council drivers ensuring they are all aware of how cyclists are meant to ride, the issues facing cyclists, etc.

Ian
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Contacts sent by PM.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Many thanks for the helpful replies, particularly to TonyR – thank you. I will follow this up.

Psamathe wrote: when reporting it, say how they clearly have not trained their drivers to be aware of cycling practices, etc. and encourage them to start a training program for all council drivers ensuring they are all aware of how cyclists are meant to ride, the issues facing cyclists, etc.

Ian

+1. I've calmed down since yesterday, but this is why I want to report it. When such a poor attitude comes from their staff it completely undermines the council's pro-cycling efforts :( .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a general issue, I think it's best to avoid any sort of interaction over something you may decide to report, partly because it can later appear that you are reporting the outcome of what can be interpreted / misrepresented as your angry abuse, rather than the poor driving. The likelihood of somebody apologising for having a different interpretation of the HC to yours is small and quite different from somebody who makes a genuine mistake eg through failing to look properly and then apologises because they feel mortified. (Remorse is the in word here.)
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Agreed, and with hindsight, I probably shouldn't have responded knowing that I would be making a complaint. Hard to do when you're in the thick of it.

Slow Loris wrote:Without losing my rag, I politely refuted this and suggested he get some training.

I try not to let bullies go unchallenged. Being a small female, I often suspect I'm seen as an easy target that is unlikely to react. I've witnessed similar aggression from drivers towards pedestrians when the latter have right of way. People will always have a different interpretation of the highway code but that does not excuse bullying and intimidating behaviour. I hope Camden respond positively in due course.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Johnocyprus

Post by Johnocyprus »

I work for a Council ( not Camden ) in a driving role and if I had a complaint like this laid against me my manager would take it extremely seriously. I'm glad you're reporting it.
mike_dowler

Post by mike_dowler »

mjr wrote:The only company OTTOMH that I wouldn't bother with is Addison Lee

I got dangerously cut up by one of their drivers because he was too busy fiddling with his mobile. I was fuming, but didn't manage to get the licence plate. From your comment, it sounds like it wouldn't have made much difference anyway.