M324 Pedals - You couldn't make it up

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
groberts

M324 Pedals - You couldn't make it up

Post by groberts »

I want a set of M324 pedals, Evans show two on their website: (1) at £40.49 (2) £20.99 - the only difference being the cheaper ones have the suffix 'OE' in the name. I have contacted them to ask what the difference is and the answer is: "They are the same pedals! The OE versions just don’t have packaging." £19.50 for packaging, amazing! Guess which ones I'll be getting?
TrevA

Re: M324 Pedals - You couldn't make it up

Post by TrevA »

I recently bought a new pair for my wife's tourer as her others have gone a bit wobbly (loose cones). I've seen them online for under £30. We went to the local Specialized Concept store and they were selling them for £55!

We asked if they'd pricematch and they agreed. We got them for £30.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

OEM vs retail packaging.

If the manufacturers had their way you wouldn't be able to buy OEM.
Microsoft try to stop OEM licenses being sold to the public, just buy a mouse at the same time and it's a "with hardware" purchase.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Check if they come with cleats. You may find the OE ones don't & the retail ones do (which is worth ~£9-10 retail).

OE ones are sold to companies cheaper & in bulk primarily for building bikes with so, if sold, can often be found for less than the wholesale price of the retail version to shift surplus stock..

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A friend started on the clipless road and bought the shoes instore froom Evans and wanted to buy the pedals too but they didn't have them in stock at the time so I said pay instore and they'll post them out in a few days to home. He opted for the OEM version cause of the price once assured they came with cleats. A few day later the retail packaged pedals arrived at his home.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

groberts wrote:I want a set of M324 pedals, Evans show two on their website: (1) at £40.49 (2) £20.99 - the only difference being the cheaper ones have the suffix 'OE' in the name. I have contacted them to ask what the difference is and the answer is: "They are the same pedals! The OE versions just don’t have packaging." £19.50 for packaging, amazing! Guess which ones I'll be getting?
£20.99?? Do you mean £24.99? http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=m324&x=0&y=0 Anyway I bought a pair recently from Evans at Gatwick and they were supplied boxed for £24.99.
They're well made but not light.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
groberts

Post by groberts »

£20.99?? Do you mean £24.99?
Of course I did, it's an age thing - it was my birthday this week!

It's not really clear from their answer what 'packaging' meant but a box obviously qualifies.

I already have a pair of M324s and am happy but if they're 'heavy' are there any other similar alternatives - similar price, packaging or not.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

groberts wrote:I already have a pair of M324s and am happy but if they're 'heavy' are there any other similar alternatives - similar price, packaging or not.

I and a few others use the A529 single sided SPD. :-
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

I also have the A530s which have a "flat" side. I don't see them being any better in use than the 324s but obviously lighter in weight and not for MTB use. :-
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himpeda732
You'll never know if you don't try it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

groberts wrote:
£20.99?? Do you mean £24.99?
Of course I did, it's an age thing - it was my birthday this week!
I know what you mean! :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Before you buy 'em, bear in mind that they are a pain to maintain as they need a special tool (which costs about £40 or something) to adjust the bearings, or a great deal of faffing with improvised tools. I have a pair of which the axle in one pedal worked loose within a year - so I changed them for some other pedals which have more accessible lock nuts. You can probably find more details by a search on the forum.........
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Steve wrote:Before you buy 'em, bear in mind that they are a pain to maintain as they need a special tool (which costs about £40 or something) to adjust the bearings, or a great deal of faffing with improvised tools. I have a pair of which the axle in one pedal worked loose within a year - so I changed them for some other pedals which have more accessible lock nuts. You can probably find more details by a search on the forum.........

I didn't realise a flat screwdriver and a 10mm socket cost that much? 8) :lol:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Steve wrote:Before you buy 'em, bear in mind that they are a pain to maintain as they need a special tool (which costs about £40 or something)

My adjustment of SPD pedals over the years has simply been to remove the axle and soak in degreaser, then dry and clean the inside of the pedal and dry then fill the pedal with grease and refit the axle and clean up the grease that oozes out. My last pair of SPDs were M520s off Amazon for £25 2 years ago and still running faultless despite them being on the main commute bike that faces all weathers.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

my Current M540 have done 33000 miles, over the past 4 years and have never been apart, I keep thinking I should but they still run smooth. All Shimano pedals are fairly easy to take apart. Search You tube for how to and they will usually show how to without the special tools unless they really are required

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH7gClG8NM

shows you the two types of SPD. most shimano pedals are a variation of these
NUKe

Post by Redvee »

NUKe wrote:my Current M540 have done 33000 miles, over the past 4 years and have never been apart, I keep thinking I should but they still run smooth. All Shimano pedals are fairly easy to take apart. Search You tube for how to and they will usually show how to without the special tools unless they really are required

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH7gClG8NM

shows you the two types of SPD. most shimano pedals are a variation of these

That video is basically the same way I lube my SPD pedals except I don't have the luxury of a workbench.