Reporting some horrible driving

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vladimir

Reporting some horrible driving

Post by Vladimir »

So I had a bit of a close one last night.
I was riding home after work, at around 22:50. was on the big roundabout outside hyde park corner, taking the exit that leads to victoria (onto grosvenor place).

I was holding the lane (or so I thought) and was just about to make the turn when a fully grown articulated lorry sort of thing overtakes at speed, encroaches onto my lane and starts turning left, all within my lane. The gap in front of me was narrowing. My life sort of started flashing before my eyes.

Obviously being on the inside of a left turning lorry is akin to suicide and I never would put myself in that position; he put me in that position on this occasion. I slammed on my brakes and let him get as far away from me as possible.

It was a Marks&Spencer lorry. I have the registration plate. I wish I had video footage, but I don't. Might just have to put a camera on my Xmas list!
I did confront him in a non-aggresive manner, but he played the fool.
Is it worth me reporting this, or will it go largely ignored?
Postboxer

Re: Reporting some horrible driving

Post by Postboxer »

I'd report it to M&S, can't do any harm.

This isn't just an overtake, this is an M&S, life threatening overtake.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Postboxer wrote:I'd report it to M&S, can't do any harm.

This isn't just an overtake, this is an M&S, life threatening overtake.

Can't do any harm - sure, but will it do any good?

That second bit is hilarious! :)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes, do. More effective than legal intervention, I'd suggest.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, last week I was nearly mown down by a Nottm City Council refuse lorry that emerged from a side road without looking. I managed to remember the Reg no until I got to work and reported it straight away. I'm still waiting for a reply though. Reporting it can't do any harm and might do some good.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd ask the police if there is any CCTV of the area...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

TrevA wrote:Yes, last week I was nearly mown down by a Nottm City Council refuse lorry that emerged from a side road without looking. I managed to remember the Reg no until I got to work and reported it straight away. I'm still waiting for a reply though. Reporting it can't do any harm and might do some good.

I did the same with a Cambridge City Council truck that decided to avoid a queue of cars turning right by diving into the bus lane (without looking). It took a few weeks but I did get an apology and they said they had talked to the driver involved. Can't prove they did or not, but at least it forced somebody in the council to do something.
Worth checking the council website to see if they make any promises to 'respond to your contact within x days'. Ours does and so when (for a totally different issue) we hadn't heard from them we sent in an email entitled "COMPLAINT". We got three replies back within 20 minutes.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

It might be worth reporting to Roadsafe London. From the little I know, they do seem to hand out warnings for poor driving.
I only know this from watching near misses of cyclists on youtube and their responses from Roadsafe.
Wish we had similar in Manchester.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Always worth reporting, i do ... often get the response that they have spoken to the driver, or reminded their drivers in general of their responsibilities.... whether it is true or not is unknown... but at least it lets the transport manager or whoever is in charge, know that the public are watching their drivers....
I also contact and report particularly courteous driving.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Members of the public do phone in complaints of poor driving to companies and they are generally noted and discussed with the driver concerned. Usually this is more effective than tackling the driver directly.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Thanks for the replies, all.
I have reported it to M&S and provided them with full details, including registration number, location and time.

Bob suggested that the police might have CCTV of the area, and given how central it is (wellington arch), I'm sure there's footage of the incident.

The question is, should I get in touch with the police and try to get this? Is the suggestion that I also report this to police?

Cheers

Vlad
nickbutler80

Post by nickbutler80 »

Please report it to M&S!
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

nickbutler80 wrote:Please report it to M&S!

already done. I've tweeted them to get their attention, and then emailed them to provide full details.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Send your report by letter and mark it as a pp to the Chief Exec's office and send a copy there. You will get more response.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".