Acceptable overtake?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
redfacedbaldfatman

Re: Acceptable overtake?

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

We had the stupidest of overtakes today as we were catching up with another cyclist, so there were three of us going round a blind left hand bend... X represents a cyclist, and this is where a bint in a Ford Ka decided to overtake, completely on the wrong side of the road around the corner. What would have happened if there had been an on-coming car I do not know.

Untitled-1.jpg

To make this overtake even worse, to go from dangerous to pointless, note the 20m scale in the bottom right and note that "???" represents where the driver parked up, on NCN1. :roll: Really? Couldn't wait 5 seconds??? :x
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

redfacedbaldfatman wrote:We had the stupidest of overtakes today as we were catching up with another cyclist, so there were three of us going round a blind left hand bend... X represents a cyclist, and this is where a bint in a Ford Ka decided to overtake, completely on the wrong side of the road around the corner. What would have happened if there had been an on-coming car I do not know.

(My bold and italic). I suspect the car would have pulled back into the left lane and there would have been a major accident involving a car and cyclists. I see these blind corner overtakes frequently and cannot understand why drivers are so stupid. Every time I am just amazed. It must go beyond bad driving and bad judgement as even the worse driver must be able to understand the risk they are taking.

Ian
redfacedbaldfatman

Post by redfacedbaldfatman »

Psamathe wrote:I suspect the car would have pulled back into the left lane and there would have been a major accident involving a car and cyclists.
Ian

Exactly. I've certainly learned from this experience and will move to prevent it in future with road positioning and a suitable hand signal.
mjr

Post by mjr »

You can discourage it, but there's almost nothing a cycle can do to prevent a car movement. They can drive over you, although most won't. Take care of yourself and keep the hand signals polite.

I don't know what Edward's of Downham Market does, but after today's overtake, I won't trade with them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
irc

Post by irc »

mjr wrote:You can discourage it, but there's almost nothing a cycle can do to prevent a car movement. They can drive over you, although most won't.

The best you can do on a blind corner is to ride about 2/3 out from the kerb to the center line. At least if they need to go fully in to the other lane you have more road to play with if an oncoming car appears.

I think that the number of drivers who will overtake on a blind bend fully in the wrong lane is smaller than those who will overtake straddling the center line. So a very positive taking of the lane will eliminate some of the madness and reduce the danger of the few that go past come what may.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

In the village where I live there is a blind corner round the Wheatsheaf. I was approaching it one day and heard a car behind which sounded as if we would reach the bend simultaneously. I automatically took the road in case a vehicle came the other way, because there would not have been room for the three of us abreast, and I did not want to be the loser. A car did appear at the crucial moment, but I had forced the driver behind to brake and wait, so all was well. Nevertheless she hooted at me as she overtook a moment later!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:In the village where I live there is a blind corner round the Wheatsheaf. I was approaching it one day and heard a car behind which sounded as if we would reach the bend simultaneously. I automatically took the road in case a vehicle came the other way, because there would not have been room for the three of us abreast, and I did not want to be the loser. A car did appear at the crucial moment, but I had forced the driver behind to brake and wait, so all was well. Nevertheless she hooted at me as she overtook a moment later!

Maybe saying thank you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:In the village where I live there is a blind corner round the Wheatsheaf. I was approaching it one day and heard a car behind which sounded as if we would reach the bend simultaneously. I automatically took the road in case a vehicle came the other way, because there would not have been room for the three of us abreast, and I did not want to be the loser. A car did appear at the crucial moment, but I had forced the driver behind to brake and wait, so all was well. Nevertheless she hooted at me as she overtook a moment later!

Maybe saying thank you?

Quite possibly - I get a few when I wave motorists past as soon as I can see the road ahead's clear.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Maybe saying thank you?

I did not get that impression.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Is there something in the air at the moment? Not on corners but on straight roads with clear visibility I have had cars coming the other way sounding their horns at cars overtaking me on three occasions in the past couple of weeks. Quite disconcerting when it happens until you have established who is sounding their horn and why.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Reading this, I've decided it must be the weather, or, just insanity. Cycling yesterday afternoon, on main road, not very bright conditions, we had a driver (in a black golf) overtake. Gave us the whole lane, great, but, was close to hedge on other side on sharp right hander. We actually stopped, so gobsmacked to watch it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe the sun is in their eyes so they can't see the oncoming car. :roll:
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

More like the sun has fried what little brain they have/had!! Keep being reminded of some figures I saw that made me think a while ago. 13% of the population have an IQ of less than 70! That actually means then that one in eight drivers actually is genuinely stupid!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
stork

Post by stork »

No doubt this one would also be 'acceptable' to local police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKpUDK6aUA&feature=youtu.be

And no doubt the travel planners would just say that I should choose a different route -- I could make the 3/4 mile journey to the school almost entirely on 'cycle facilities' if I wanted, except that the journey would then be about 8 miles long instead.
beardy

Post by beardy »

The videos just dont get across (to me , at least) how close the overtakes are in real life.