Acceptable overtake?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
stork

Acceptable overtake?

Post by stork »

Just a quick question of opinion, is the overtake (at about 14 seconds) OK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AI4gXw7GpY
Mark1978

Re: Acceptable overtake?

Post by Mark1978 »

Is it ok? No it's close and into oncoming traffic. However it's not at all unusual or remarkable.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Mark1978 wrote:Is it ok? No it's close and into oncoming traffic. However it's not at all unusual or remarkable.

+1
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

+ another 1.

If I was the driver I would be ashamed of myself. If I was the passenger in the car I would have been cringing. If I was the cyclist I would think, ho hum, just another day.

The driver should have anticipated. He could see the other cars overtaking the cyclist, and the oncoming cars. He should have realised there wouldn't be a comfortable space to overtake and should have held back. If he did this in plenty of time he might not even have had to brake.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

another +1
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

The third car should definitely have waited till the on coming traffic had cleared - second car was a little close too. But yes, just another day at the office for most cyclists.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes it was poor driving and the overtake should not have been attempted but my impression is that the driver forced the oncoming Mercedes to brake rather than compromise the bike's road space.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think I'd take primary position along there and deal with the honking/abuse if it happens (the local police say they'll act on camera evidence of road rage but not of bad overtakes ;-) )... and I usually have a pannier or a rope lock wobbling off the back right of my bike with bright blue tape on it to make me look wider... but you shouldn't need to do all this nonsense.

The second, third and fifth cars are all bad overtakes which would provoke me to make my "how wide?/move out!" hand signal (right arm, palm outwards, pushing right) to discourage repeats. Might not work but is unlikely to hurt.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
stork

Post by stork »

Thanks for the comments, pretty much what I thought too. I think that the oncoming car probably did have to brake, and the driver certainly sounded the horn, and you're right that my road space was not compromised even if the overtake was closer than necessary (or at least closer than would have been necessary if they'd waited until there was no oncoming traffic). In some ways, yes, just another day at the office (or on the school run, as it happened), but how can I ever be confident to let my children cycle to school alone along here?

The reason I asked the original question is because I shared the video with local police, and they (apparently an Inspector) expressed their opinion as follows:

"[He] is on a pedal cycle and there is no dangerous overtaking. no vehicles were caused any inconvenience and the vehicle was back on his side of the road when the oncoming vehicle crossed his path."

I'd not asked for formal action to be taken, I'd merely logged it with them as information/intelligence and invited them to offer advice to the driver if they thought it appropriate to do so. I was quite taken aback when their response indicated in effect that there is absolutely nothing wrong with overtaking like this.
stork

Post by stork »

mjr wrote:I think I'd take primary position along there and deal with the honking/abuse if it happens (the local police say they'll act on camera evidence of road rage but not of bad overtakes ;-) )... and I usually have a pannier or a rope lock wobbling off the back right of my bike with bright blue tape on it to make me look wider... but you shouldn't need to do all this nonsense.

The second, third and fifth cars are all bad overtakes which would provoke me to make my "how wide?/move out!" hand signal (right arm, palm outwards, pushing right) to discourage repeats. Might not work but is unlikely to hurt.

As it happens, the bike was hardly the most inconspicuous one anyway -- at nearly 4m long, and articulated (tandem plus trailerbike with orange flag, one pannier (yes, I'm a unipannierist) on the left side because that's where it fits the rack). And typically I'd be going 15-18mph here, in a 30mph area.

Even a strong-ish secondary position usually discourages drivers from overtaking by driving straight at oncoming vehicles here, but it seems that for some even the self-preservation instinct doesn't work.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

My observation is that "it is the third car".
I've commented to club mates for years on how often the third car, in any group of cars, very often gives a close pass. Probably because they are just following the cars in front and have their brain switched off or possibly they never get a clear view of any obstacle ahead.
Has anyone else noted "third car behaviour"?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic wrote:My observation is that "it is the third car".
I've commented to club mates for years on how often the third car, in any group of cars, very often gives a close pass. Probably because they are just following the cars in front and have their brain switched off or possibly they never get a clear view of any obstacle ahead.
Has anyone else noted "third car behaviour"?

Yes, very much - see also when cars are queuing to get through traffic calming when you have priority.

There's always (OK, often) someone who tries to tag on the back which means you have to brake so they can complete their manoeuvre.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

stork wrote:The reason I asked the original question is because I shared the video with local police, and they (apparently an Inspector) expressed their opinion as follows:

"[He] is on a pedal cycle and there is no dangerous overtaking. no vehicles were caused any inconvenience and the vehicle was back on his side of the road when the oncoming vehicle crossed his path."

Explains a lot about road traffic policing standards :evil:
"42"
beardy

Post by beardy »

Out of interest, does the inspector have or need to have any more qualification in this than an ordinary car driving licence?

Then see the other thread about driving instructors.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I would suggest the car in the other lane does slow down, it seems, though it's hard to tell, that it's going fairly slowly after the overtake, perhaps a good driver who anticipated the oncoming muppet and so slowed rather than slamming brakes on.