Buzzed by a Buzzard

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Buzzed by a Buzzard

Post by Flinders »

Wildlife doesn't seem to find bikes as scary as people on foot.

I once came across some fox cubs playing in the road and stopped to watch, they carried on regardless, tumbling over each other and eventually ended up tumbling into the hedge. Wish I'd had my camera handy - but some moments are perhaps best just savoured in 'real time'.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Friend of mine used to sleep in the back of his van at sailing events. Used to complain about always being woken up at first light by seagulls landing on the roof of the van.
It took him two years of events before he realised that after he went to bed his mates were putting bread on top of the van.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a crow land on my helmet up the Leeds end of the canal the other day, it took a couple of swats to get rid of it.Most disturbing.
Nu-Fogey
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Should have kept it, you'd look like some kind of mystical wizard.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Postboxer wrote:Should have kept it, you'd look like some kind of mystical wizard.

That's ravens. :mrgreen:
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Last year in Herefordshire, I was narrowly missed by a squirrel which fell from the sky - dropped by a buzzard.

I am so glad tortoises are not native here.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Cycling to work a couple of weeks back near the Village of Manton, Lincolnshire (8 miles south of Scunthorpe) at about 7:30 when a Barn Owl flew from behind some trees and proceeded to fly along the road about 10 yards in front of me matching my speed. I've only seen them on a couple of occasions before and never so close. It was quite magical.
AuraTodd

Post by AuraTodd »

Perhaps he/she doesn't like cyclists. Been chased up the road with a broom, but that wasn't by a buzzard (not yet).