Claiming compensation after being knocked off your bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Laura-Carys

Claiming compensation after being knocked off your bike

Post by Laura-Carys »

I was after some advice...

In July I was out riding on a Gran Fondo and 9 miles into my planned 80miles a 4x4 towing a caravan made to overtake me on a corner. An interesting graph can be found on my Strava as my speed drops instantly from 21mph to zero as I was knocked clean off by bike into the curb, pavement and hedge.

My bike was largely unscathed, minor cosmetic damage, but my kit was ripped but rather more significantly I now have a large scar on my thigh which is difficult to conceal. Luckily the severe bruising to my right arm cleared up after a few weeks and my grip and strength had returned in my hand, had it not I fear that may have ended my career, although I feel lucky to have even walked away from the collision!

The driver did not stop. I was able to ride onto the next village and reported the incident to the police. I have since completed a statement and am awaiting further investigation. I need to replace my kit and was told compensation claims were made independently.

Where is the best place to start?

Thanks in advance - Laura
Attachments
IMG_2968.JPG
Bicycler

Re: Claiming compensation after being knocked off your bike

Post by Bicycler »

Did you get the registration number or was the driver of the vehicle traced?

Normally your claim is against the driver of the vehicle but if the driver and vehicle cannot be traced you can submit a claim to the Motor Insurers' Bureau who are responsible for compensating victims of untraced drivers.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Unless you got the registration plate the police are completely useless in my personal expereince of hit and run.
The only route you might be able to go down is if you have cycling insurance as part of british cycling/CTC etc, use the legal dept. Another way is to contact the MIB
https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As above, you need to pursue the driver, if the police never caught the individual you probably do not have much chance... looking at those injuries the police should have pursued this as it is a crime to not report an accident as a driver of a vehicle involved.
Looks pretty nasty.
You can claim for clothes on your household insurance, but this affects your no-claims on the policy, so might just be cheaper to buy and keep receipts against the chance that the driver is ever found.
Best to talk to the legal dept of the CTC.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You should be able to claim from the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau).

My son was knocked off a few years ago. The driver stopped to see if he was OK, got back in his car to say he was going to pull around the corner, then promptly drove off. We got his Reg no but the car was not registered and the driver could not be traced. We contacted the MIB and after they completed their investigations, we got a cheque for £1500.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

In 2005 a motorist opened a door on me. I contacted the CTC solicitors and they eagerly took on the case. They immediately predicted they'd get me £1000, and about a year later I got exactly that amount.

In 2012 I had an incident where a demented Porsche driver got out of his car and rushed back to rant at me and pushed me off my bike while I was stood over it listening to him. I grazed my knee. Unfortunately for him there were witnesses and he was eventually cautioned for assault.

However, when I contacted the CTC to pursue a claim the CTC's firm of solicitors told me new rules had recently come in and minor cases were not worth taking up like they used to be. Apparently there are new government rules designed to avoid litigation in minor cases.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Got deliberately knocked off my bike a couple of hours ago, and the car failed to stop.
Police have yet to find the driver.
I'll not go into any detail, as it is ongoing.
Kept repeating the reg to my self as he drove away with me lying in the road.
Bad thing is no witnesses.
Sore elbow, hip, knee, typical falling off the bike impact points.
Only had the bike 6 weeks. Bars skew, brake/ shifter lever bent / scraped. front wheel gouged, saddle scuffed.
Still very angry.
Will see about making a claim after I have spoken to the rozzers again.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.