Helmet light

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LondonBikeCommuter

Helmet light

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

I've got an Exposure Diablo light on my handlebar but am toying with the idea of getting a helmet light as well. Lighting where I'm looking rather than going seems a good idea!

Is it worth while or a waste of money?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Helmet light

Post by [XAP]Bob »

depends what you want it for...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

Certainly a good idea off road.
On road naybe need to think about the type of light you are using - after all you don't want to risk blinding the driver behind you every time you look back! And also it would be a good thing to still have a be seen by light on the bars so there is always a forward pointing light (this would be a legal requirement too).

I use be-seen-by LEDs on my hat when I wear it because it gives me an extra place to mount lights and also puts them higher up so _might_ be more noticeable under some peculiar circumstances.

On the other hand...we do have a thread about the possible impacts (forgive the pun) of having a light on your head should your head make contact with the road.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Si wrote:Certainly a good idea off road.
I agree on that, but it's a moot point that they are lawful for use on the road.

If you look round, you are shining a white light to the rear. Not legal.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

...and remember you can blind drivers in a variety of settings as i was blinded a couple of nights back while driving a big van and pulling out of a junction.. as the rider aimed his hedlight directly at me.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
Si wrote:Certainly a good idea off road.
I agree on that, but it's a moot point that they are lawful for use on the road.

If you look round, you are shining a white light to the rear. Not legal.

Certainly not a great plan, but not sure it's illegal, since it isn't a vehicle light. It's a bit grey in terms of the RVLR as far as I can see...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Also bear in mind what helmets are designed for i.e to minimise damage to the skull in the event of impact and not as a useful framework to strap ancilliary items on to.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Certainly not a great plan, but not sure it's illegal, since it isn't a vehicle light. It's a bit grey in terms of the RVLR as far as I can see...
Yes, as I said, it's a moot point.

Knowingly and deliberately shining a bright white light to the rear FROM any vehicle must be illegal I'm sure, but I don't know the chapter and verse.
(unless they are reversing lights :lol: )
Mick F. Cornwall
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

If you are riding on unlit roads and have many junction at which you turn left or right then IMHO helmet lights are essential as they allow you to see the potholes before you hit them. I use two on my helmet.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

freeflow wrote:If you are riding on unlit roads and have many junction at which you turn left or right then IMHO helmet lights are essential as they allow you to see the potholes before you hit them. I use two on my helmet.

Need better bike lights there then ;)

They're good for picking out roadsigns which are often above the cutoff of proper road lights, and for dealing with mechanicals...
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

They are good at stopping drivers who may be about to pull out of side roads in front of you (generally keep them on the road else, eyes swivel enough...)