Interpersonal communication

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pompey Monkey

Interpersonal communication

Post by Pompey Monkey »

is an odd thing, isn't it?

Only this morning I asked a lorry driver, who seemed to want to get to know me and my bike very well indeed, if there was anything I could help him with.

The answer, consisting of a single sentence, managed to included a reference to both fornication and male genitalia! ;)

Ain't life grand!
beardy

Re: Interpersonal communication

Post by beardy »

That was a bit forward of him, whatever happened to romance?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You're lucky. In my most recent altercation with another road user, I only got a directive to fornicate (repeated numerous times).
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Pompey Monkey wrote:is an odd thing, isn't it?

Only this morning I asked a lorry driver, who seemed to want to get to know me and my bike very well indeed, if there was anything I could help him with.

The answer, consisting of a single sentence, managed to included a reference to both fornication and male genitalia! ;)

Ain't life grand!

beardy wrote:That was a bit forward of him, whatever happened to romance?

Did not even wait for the first date meal. What a cheapskate.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Once had a guy call me a "copulating onanist"

Caught up in traffic and asked if he could count as far as two, or whether English was his problem?

?

Bemused look and asked what I was on about

Pointed out that Copulation requires two (or more) whereas onanism is a solitary activity

Then pointed out that it was pointless squealing profanities if your illiteracy was merely going to make you look stupid
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

beardy wrote:That was a bit forward of him, whatever happened to romance?

Another windup

Large company's van and a "middle finger salute"

Sent video to Company thanking the driver for offering to compensate for his appalling driving with an act of sexual activity

However I would have to decline as having seen how inconsiderate his driving was, I was unconvinced he would be a considerate lover and as a result the experience would probably not be worthwhile

The reply from the company was very apologetic and their trying to explain that their employee was not offering sexual favours without admitting that they had behaved improperly was very funny
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have to confess, I burst out with foul language now and again - we are all weak in some way. Usually in exasperation rather than abusive. If I call another road user names, it'll usually be when they're out of earshot. I'm a coward when it comes to road rage.

Which reminds me of a little incident during our recent USA trip. Driving along a single carriageway at night, I was aggressively tailgated by another motorist who then overtook me quite dangerously in the face of oncoming traffic, forcing me to brake (to give him room to pull in). I gave an admonitory flash of my headlights, but owing to my unfamiliarity with the hire-car's controls, I inadvertantly put the lights on full beam for a few seconds instead of just a flash.

The car that had overtaken me came to a sudden stop in front of me for no apparent reason. That was scary. Was I about to get involved in a bit of road rage, USA-style? For all I knew, the driver might have had a gun :shock: . As I said, I was scared: I stopped and waited. Luckily he thought better of it and drove on.

My B-i-L (who lives in the States, and who we were visiting) later told me that I was profoundly stupid to flash the other car. In the USA people take such things seriously. Lesson learnt!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).