Unbelievable

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ned Ludd

Re: Unbelievable

Post by Ned Ludd »

Theres a driving instructor lives on my street, and when he's not teaching he's often on his bike. I'll try and ask him next time I see him..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Nor me,but if you enter the kitchen in your own Accord you expect heat.
Fixed that for fun :D

:lol:

I know, but how it must grind you down...

Only if you let it.
There is also the option of changing occupation if things are that bad.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Our "rapid response" (for pedestrians) crossing lights have now been "fixed" :( so they only turn red when there isn't any traffic. :evil: However before they were amended I always checked to see if traffic had stopped before I crossed, as red light jumpers were all too numerous (still are, but not as much). On one occasion the jumpers car was a driving instructor's car, :shock: and to make matters worse this car had had plenty of time to stop.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

honesty wrote:email the driving instructor, would be interested to see what they say!

... or do what I did when I had one ranting about how I had no right to be on the road because there was a cycle path. Unfortunately all of it on the GoPro, neatly showing him and the window of the car.

Now whilst I remembered the registration I selective amnesia meant that I forgot the name of the driving school, and to watch the part of the video where the car pulled away Image

Sent the video by email to ALL the local driving schools

Almost all replied agreeing that it was a completely unacceptable standard, and identifying the correct School

Then forwarded all of these replies, asking what they were going to do with a driving instructor who according to his peers was completely in the wrong and behaving unacceptably

The School agreed and retrained him, formally apologised, and gave assurances that erroneous teaching that the pupil in the car would be corrected
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:I phoned the number on top of the driving school car,and asked if he could advise his pupil to steer a bit wider and give cyclists more room,his reply was along the lines of "stop bleating he didn't hit you did he? I get tired of hearing it from you cyclists"

Clearly he gets a lot of cyclists contacting him about his poor standards of instruction. I wonder why?
Last edited by TonyR on 2 Nov 2014, 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TonyR wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I phoned the number on top of the driving school car,and asked if he could advise his pupil to steer a bit wider and give cyclists more room,his reply was along the lines of "stop bleating he didn't hit you did he? I get tired of hearing it from you cyclists"

Clearly he gets a lot of cyclists contacting him about his poor standards of instruction. I wonder why?

It was me who posted the quote you attribute to Boney.
Yes I agree it was my conclusion too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
TonyR wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I phoned the number on top of the driving school car,and asked if he could advise his pupil to steer a bit wider and give cyclists more room,his reply was along the lines of "stop bleating he didn't hit you did he? I get tired of hearing it from you cyclists"

It was me who posted the quote you attribute to Boney.
Yes I agree it was my conclusion too.

I've heard of putting words in my mouth, but come on :lol:
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I've been cut up twice at the same mini-roundabout by instructors without pupils (and Youtubed them) - I got a reply from the school on one occasion - though it wasn't clear whether she was excusing the unaccompanied instructor...

(unusually I didn't actually swear ! - the car horn is mine)

"Bubble Driving School Bristol BN62YLV MGIF yards from roundabout"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQhBFg9psQ

I posted because when I saw the following video yesterday, I initially associated it with the CTC, but have just realised it isn't ..

"A driving instructor & a cycle trainer explain why cyclists sometimes ride in the middle of the road "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJHXzt7TC2k
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

reohn2 wrote:It was me who posted the quote you attribute to Boney.

Apologies and now corrected.
Chris the Sheep

Post by Chris the Sheep »

gentlegreen wrote:I've been cut up twice at the same mini-roundabout by instructors without pupils (and Youtubed them) - I got a reply from the school on one occasion - though it wasn't clear whether she was excusing the unaccompanied instructor...

I usually post on threads like this to point out that I'm married to a driving instructor, and her car is our family car. That means I often drive unaccompanied and others assume that I'm an instructor. I'm aware of this and drive as impeccably as I can, but not all do.

Re complaining to the 'school'; in most cases there's no such thing, just a franchise that takes calls and does marketing. They get lots of calls, mainly from other drivers, making complaints - which when investigated often show that the complainant was at fault; that doesn't excuse failure to follow up a call, but I know it happens.

ADI training and the qualification process make no explicit provision for cycling except for the questions in the theory test; it's possible to become an ADI without knowing about Primary, for instance, and an ADI may well hold negative views about cyclists that are shared with many other drivers. It's a symptom of the general poor appreciation of cycling.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I remember what I was told when learning to drive: "those (points at oncoming traffic) might get out of your way; those (points at cyclists with backs to us) can't see you and probably won't." In other words, if I didn't want to pull into the oncoming lane and overtake safely, it's not safe to overtake.
Chris the Sheep wrote:I usually post on threads like this to point out that I'm married to a driving instructor, and her car is our family car. That means I often drive unaccompanied and others assume that I'm an instructor. I'm aware of this and drive as impeccably as I can, but not all do.

Why the blue blazes is this bit of the Highway Code only a "should"? Unless the car is literally between lessons, remove the magnets or cover the fixed signs.
https://www.gov.uk/rules-drivers-motorcyclists-89-to-102/motor-vehicle-documentation-and-learner-driver-requirements wrote:Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).
Law MV(DL)R reg 16 & sched 4

Recently, our bike group received a complaint about an AA driving school car. Anyone know where we should suggest they report it, if anywhere?
Last edited by mjr on 3 Nov 2014, 4:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Chris the Sheep wrote:
gentlegreen wrote:I've been cut up twice at the same mini-roundabout by instructors without pupils (and Youtubed them) - I got a reply from the school on one occasion - though it wasn't clear whether she was excusing the unaccompanied instructor...

I usually post on threads like this to point out that I'm married to a driving instructor, and her car is our family car. That means I often drive unaccompanied and others assume that I'm an instructor. I'm aware of this and drive as impeccably as I can, but not all do.

Fair enough, but the advertising benefits instructors gain from having a fully branded car - as opposed to just a car with magnetic or a roofboard L-plates (and I agree with MJR these ought to be removed when used as a private car) - all go out of the window if the car is seen to be driven poorly. The kind of instructor I would want to be teaching a member of my family to drive safely is the kind of instructor who doesn't let their partner drive unsafely. It's a case of being seen to practise what you preach. It's good for your wife that you realise how your driving could affect your her business.
Sagwagon

Post by Sagwagon »

A cycling friend of mine took his HGV class 2 licence a year ago and his instructor referred to cyclists as "organ donors" and then went onto explain why their life span is on par with your average fly ! Trouble was he went on at length to explain his reasons and my friend although initially annoyed by it had to admit that where hgv`s are concerned, some of his points were valid. Hmm.