Unbelievable

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Unbelievable

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Just had a close overtake by a learner driver under instruction in a school car with dual controls. Is it any wonder that motorists don't know how much clearance to give if they are being taught by morons?
honesty

Re: Unbelievable

Post by honesty »

email the driving instructor, would be interested to see what they say!
jezer

Post by jezer »

I was a marshal on a TT recently, when a local driving instuctor, without a pupil I think, totally ignored my red flag and drove regardless over the roundabout, forcing riders to brake heavily. I appreciate we don't have any power in these situations, but surely those with influence over new drivers should have some commen sence :roll:
Power to the pedals
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

honesty wrote:email the driving instructor, would be interested to see what they say!

I phoned a driving instructor once but got a load of abuse,the next close encounter got a slap on the door,yes it was that close :shock: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cold_wet_and_tired

Post by cold_wet_and_tired »

Do driving instructors belong to some sort of regulatory body that you could complain to?
honesty

Post by honesty »

Yes. They are licenced and members of a body.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

When I learned to drive in the 80's in Cambridge, my instructor continually stressed that I should leave 6 feet clearance for cyclists, particularly important in a place like Cambridge. Its something I've never forgotten and always observe when I'm driving. Its a pity the Highway Code isn't a bit more specific on this.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Meanwhile, in another universe...

"You passed that cyclist far too closely. I didn't reach across to the steering wheel on this occasion because I could see you were going to clear him, but please, in future leave a much wider gap. This applies to other road users as well - for instance that line of parked cars up ahead. What would happen if one opened a door whilst you were passing?"

...and so on.

When I learned to drive I made mistakes too, and the Instructor corrected me and gave me feedback. As someone who has done some training in an earlier life, and who still does a lot of coaching it's a difficult but important balance to strike between intervening, or allowing a situation to develop and feeding back after the event.

Just a thought.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Meanwhile, in another universe...

"You passed that cyclist far too closely. I didn't reach across to the steering wheel on this occasion because I could see you were going to clear him, but please, in future leave a much wider gap. This applies to other road users as well - for instance that line of parked cars up ahead. What would happen if one opened a door whilst you were passing?"

...and so on.

When I learned to drive I made mistakes too, and the Instructor corrected me and gave me feedback. As someone who has done some training in an earlier life, and who still does a lot of coaching it's a difficult but important balance to strike between intervening, or allowing a situation to develop and feeding back after the event.

Just a thought.

Or in this universe:-
I phoned the number on top of the driving school car,and asked if he could advise his pupil to steer a bit wider and give cyclists more room,his reply was along the lines of "stop bleating he didn't hit you did he? I get tired of hearing it from you cyclists"
Not the ideal driving instructor.
I meant to report him but if it's anything like reporting incidents to the police it would be a wasted phone call.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Meanwhile, in another universe...

...and so on.

Just a thought.

Or in this universe:-
I phoned the number on top of the driving school car,and asked if he could advise his pupil to steer a bit wider and give cyclists more room,his reply was along the lines of "stop bleating he didn't hit you did he? I get tired of hearing it from you cyclists"
Not the ideal driving instructor.
I meant to report him but if it's anything like reporting incidents to the police it would be a wasted phone call.

Yes, you're right, there are two perspectives.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Yes, you're right, there are two perspectives.

To be fair the incidents mentioned are the only two I've had in the last ten or so years,most driving school cars give me enough clearance.
However I went on a driving instructors forum and wasn't impressed by their attitude.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Thinking, picking up an incident of a bad driver will at best make that one driver "see the light" and behave more sensibly in future. But a driving instructor can have a big influence of a large number of (future) drivers. It would be good if their regulatory body took such reports seriously (maybe they do, interesting to hear from anybody that has tried reporting such behaviour to them).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Yes, you're right, there are two perspectives.

To be fair the incidents mentioned are the only two I've had in the last ten or so years,most driving school cars give me enough clearance.
However I went on a driving instructors forum and wasn't impressed by their attitude.

Let me take a wild guess - they feel almost as beleaguered and under pressure as urban cyclists?

It's one of those "not for all the tea in China" jobs for me :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:......It's one of those "not for all the tea in China" jobs for me :?

Nor me,but if you enter the kitchen of your own accord you expect heat.
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:......It's one of those "not for all the tea in China" jobs for me :?

Nor me,but if you enter the kitchen in your own Accord you expect heat.

Fixed that for fun :D

I know, but how it must grind you down...