Mudguard suggestions please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MitzEclipse

Mudguard suggestions please

Post by MitzEclipse »

Hi - I'm looking for better/full mudguard suggestions for my commuter. I use 25mm schwable marathon plus tires and therefore have absolutely no space between the tire and the brake callipers. I tried using a set of CrudProducts Roadracer 2 and they do not fit at all. Wondering if there is another style of mudguards I should be using? Perhaps ones which come in two separate pieces so I can put one piece in front of the brakes and the other behind? Photos are there:

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Mudguard suggestions please

Post by Mick F »

That frame isn't designed to take mudguards no matter what size tyres you have on.

There are way's and means to fit 'guards that stop/start at the brake calipers, but that's a poor idea trying to make the best out of the situation.

My suggestion is to get another bike (with mudguards) for the winter.
Sorry, for suggesting it. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

You could take a look at the SKS Race Blade XL, perhaps.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've used race blades and added a piece of SKS mudguard cut to fit between the brake bridge and the BB.
I used the piece of mudguard fitted with the clip for the bridge behind the bottom bracket. At the brake bridge I made a couple of small holes and used small cable ties to attach the piece of mudguard to the seat stays.
Not quite a full mudguard but near enough to make a difference.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I recently managed a very satisfactory bodge with some £12 mudguards from Halfords recently.

RearRackFixing.jpg

FrontForkTop.jpg

FrontForkBottom.jpg

The rear is fine and I've even has compliments/positive comments from fellow Audax riders. You do get some road muck on the brakes and the seat tube but nowhere near as much as without the mudguard.

The front is satisfactory. I needed to but a silicone rubber paint protector on the back of the mudguard as it can wobble up and down a bit depending on road surface. The zip ties are ok but if I was doing this again I'd drill out the mount on the front mudguard and remount is at the front end so I could bolt it on.

The forks don't have mudguard eyelets so this was the best bodge I could do at short notice. People may point out that not having quick release clips is dangerous but in fact its not a problem as the metal stay is U shaped and just clips onto the mudguard so the quick release is in effect at the other end.

The front also required a bit more adjustment to get it a little closer to the tyre.

I've done two 200k Audax with these fitted and they worked fine. Both were wet rides with wet roads for substantially longer afterwards.
gaz

Post by gaz »

High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have seen ones that are almost flat with very little curvature - they might fit as normal. dont ask where I saw them. just a memory. I have seen some people attache the rear guard to the underneath of the carrier. You could do that in part up to the brake?

ah like these -

#http://civiacycles.com/components/flat_fenders/
MitzEclipse

Post by MitzEclipse »

Thanks all for the suggestions. The SKS Race Blade XL is probably my best bet the problem is that they are a bit finicky in terms of fitting them. I've had them on a previous bike and they don't last a full season without rubbing/making noise etc... quite high maint in my opinion. I wish there was a mudguard that had two pieces... one for in front of the brake caliper and the other behind!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Parlez-vous Francais? Salmon, web site seems to be down; quelle domage.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ann Kennedy

Post by Ann Kennedy »

I have a similar question. I ride a Specialized MTB with Marathon Ultimate tyres and a Topeak pannier rack. Just back from riding the Thames Valley way - not too wet but got covered in mud up my back in particular and also well spattered on my legs. Not sure what sort of mud guards would suit - ideally want something that is easy to put on and take off as often disassemble bike for air transport. What should i be looking for?

Also, my husband also rides a (different and larger) MTB and has same tyres and pannier rack but miraculously he does not get as muddy .. why should that be??
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I'm afraid I agree with Mick F I don't like the look of bodge jobs but that's just a personal opinion. I wouldn't buy a bike with Vee Brakes as I don't like their appearance
'Kernow bys Vyken'