Cycling in Ireland

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Galloper

Cycling in Ireland

Post by Galloper »

I've just come back from one of my occasional trips to Ireland and thought I'd share a few of my experiences with you. I cycled from Dun Laoghaire out into the Wicklow mountains on a gorgeous autumn day. I was impressed by the very large number of cyclists out and about. I think in 4 hours I probably saw more cyclists than cars! The other thing I noticed was the very high proportion of female cyclists, at least a third. It wasn't just a case of someone cycling with a partner, there were quite a few girls riding in small groups and one quite sizeable peloton of about 15 - 20. It would be great to see such enthusiasm here.

Moving on to the quieter rodes of South Tipperary, I came across that other phenomenon of Irish cycling - motorists coming the other way WAVE!
eileithyia

Re: Cycling in Ireland

Post by eileithyia »

I don't where you live, female groups have been taking off all the country, we often ladies riding individually or in small groups at weekend and I am about to join an all female race team.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I live in the North East and while there are plenty of ladies cycling in this part of the world, there are nowhere near the numbers I saw in Ireland. The more girls there are cycling, the better for cycling as a whole.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

A lot of girls cycle in Ireland at the moment, but way more men. It's going through a popularity wave.
Waving to people on the road is very common in rural Ireland, as it is, also, in e.g. Yorkshire in my experience. I like that.